A FEW QUESTIONS TO ANY OWNERS OF BIS ULTRA STOVES

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood4heat

May 1, 2007
I AM CURRENTLY BUILDING A NEW HOUSE, RANCH STYLE JUST OVER 1400 SQ. FT. I AM INSTALLING A BIS ULTRA IN THE MAIN ROOM AND I AM CURIOUS ABOUT ITS PERFORMANCE. HOW LONG OF BURN TIME CAN I EXPECT TO GET USING GOOD WOOD? HOW CLEAN DOES IT BURN? ALSO HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO ANY OTHER STOVES YOU HAVE USED OR OWNED? MY PREVIOUS HOME HAD A BUCK MODEL 20 INSERT AND I WAS VERY PLEASED WITH THE HEAT OUTPUT. THE STOVE COMPANY SAYS I WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED WITH THE BIS HOPE THEY ARE RIGHT!

WHAT? :lol:

I don't have an Ultra, but the Ultima which is similar but a little smaller. Well, I think the Ultra is bigger based on the higher price and higher listed heat capacity (2000 sqft vs. 1500, although I heat 2000 sqft with the Ultima) and burn times (10 hrs vs. 8). But the Ultima takes bigger logs (20" vs 19"), and I can't find the Ultra firebox size. So go figure. It will certainly heat 1400 sqft without breaking a sweat (you might break a sweat, however).

Anywho, I'm happy with the Ultima. I can get 8 hour burn times from it with say a full load of good wood (locust, hickory, oak), depending on the definition of "burn time". More like 4 hours of good heat, and 4 hours of glowing coals that will easily start a new fire but don't put off so much heat on their own. So figure another hour or two on top of that for the Ultra. The Ultra is listed at 5.1 grams/hour of emissions, which isn't a record low but is par for the EPA-certified course. No visible smoke except when reloading or burning wet wood.

I don't have anything modern to compare to, just regular fireplaces, the pre-EPA insert my parents had 20 years ago, and the JUCA fireplace they have in their vacation home. It's certainly better than any of those...

thanks for responding after going through my paperwork i realized i gave you some wrong info i have purchased an ultima (same as yours i believe) sounds like from what you tell me i made a good choice. thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.