A few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jengleman

Nov 11, 2014
Texas
I am new to wood burning stoves. I have had fire places in the past but more or less just to have a fire, not heat the house. We recently just built a house and had a Lopi Endeavor installed. Cranked it up for the first time this year...gonna get down to a whopping 28 degrees tonight. That's cold for Texas. Anyways my question is I have an abundant supply of mesquite and wondering if it is ok to burn in stove? I have heard that it burns too hot and causes creosote build up rather fast.

Also, using the door slightly cracked to get the fire started. Is that ok? I read that leaving the ash door open will cause cracks and ruin a stove. Didn't know if this was the same.

Any help is much appreciated. I can't seem to get off this website and looking forward to hearing any advise.

Thanks, Josh

Mesquite is ok as long as it is fully seasoned. It is a high oil wood so thicker splits will be better. No problem starting with the door slightly ajar but you shouldn't need to. Try with the bypass open instead, then close the bypass once the fire starts burning well.

Yeah, the ash door is different. You don't want to have that door open when starting a fire or anytime it's running. That'll ruin your stove quickly by over firing it.

I read that leaving the ash door open will cause cracks and ruin a stove.

While cheechblu is correct that it is not a good idea to use the ash door, and that LEAVING the ash door open CAN ruin a stove, having the ash door open for ONLY half a minute to start a fire works just fine... as long as you DON'T FORGET IT.
I've had the ash door open hundreds of times for start up... no problems. But I don't suggest it, because you only have to forget to shut it one time to have an overfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.