A few random wood gathering pics and commentary

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RowCropRenegade

Feeling the Heat
Mar 19, 2008
Southwest, Ohio
Had some free time this Feb to get my wood for 2015 and beyond ready.

Neighbor farmer who I do some chemical application for decided to tear out 3 old shagbark hickory trees. Counted rings on one that was 145 years old. He was going to torch them where they laid but I "rescued" them from their firey destruction....until 2015.

A couple picks of me hauling them out with the 333 and trailers. Split and stacked them inside the barn. Ended up with 4.5 cords of hickory. Spittling was a pain in the neck! Used wedges and mauls to get the 22 inch long 40 in diameter trunks split in half, with the help of prybars and a little noodling. Finished them off with the hydraulic splitter. Can't imagine doing that stuff entirely by hand!

Then went to work on some mixed hardwoods and stacked outside on my wagons. Mixed bag of woods, many of them I couldn't identify, but BTUs none the less! About two cords of them.

I have probably 3 or 4 cords of white ash to split that are bucked inside the barn. Too wet to go back today but frozen ground will be here tomorrow and shall get to work on them!

All and all, when I get the ash done I will have about 14 cords ready for 2014 and 2015 winters. I'm burning anywhere from 6-8 a winter. Mostly ash hickory and red oak.

Attachments

• 333wood.jpg
    333wood.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 172
  • trailerhickory.jpg
    trailerhickory.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 173
  • splittinggood.jpg
    splittinggood.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 154
Nice work RCR...really like the grapple attachment on the Deere.

Nice equipment - I, for one, am envious of the trailer and skid steer.

Reactions: ScotO
dat's a lot o' hickery! I'd love to get my hands on just a quarter of that! I've only been able to get a small amount, one medium sized tree, from my neighbor. It's great stuff!

Nice toys! Maybe my mom will let me come over to your house someday and play in your sandbox!;lol
Nice worrk, enjoy those BTU's

Man, talk about a premium score......that is crazy! I can't believe he was going to burn that stuff on the spot......what a travesty that would have been!! :eek: <><> _g

Glad you got that stuff, that's some premium wood there. I'm looking to get some hickory this spring/summer, hoping to mill some of it for boards but a good portion of it will go into the heating wood stack and the smoking wood stack....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Great rescue! I cringe when I think of all the hickory trees that used to be in the fields and are now gone. Seems years ago there was a hickory or oak in every pasture; sometimes more than one. But when there are no more cattle, they do have to go for the row crops. Just glad to see this one go to a nice home!

Status
Not open for further replies.