a few small changes and big results!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I recently made some changes to my old tarm 502 boiler. Big difference in performance. Tinkering pays off. First of all, every yr gets better and better, one improvement at a time. Better chimney last yr increased draft. New door (old one was badly cracked and leaky). Those are the big changes. Most recently I added insulation to the supply and return pipes, about 20 ft each way. This alone made a huge difference. I now have a deep bed of coals after a long burn (6 or 8 hrs) and never have to re-lite). I cost about 70 bux for the pipe insulation. I think this is the most bang ofr the buck. Less wood consumption. I also added more insulation to the house last yr, mostly under, over and around three big bumped out bay windows. It justs keeps getting better and better yr after yr. INSULATE, INSULATE AND INSULATE. It works great.

P.S. As a newb many yrs ago I did not always listen so well, I now wish I listened more and sooner.

Mike

Glad things are going well. Hard to have too much insulation.

The thing about the Internet is that there's lots of information. Some of it is correct. Not always easy to know what you should listen to. I hang around here because it has a higher than average 'signal to noise' ratio.

......aaaah, an audio reference....LOVE IT!

muncybob said:
......aaaah, an audio reference....LOVE IT!

Or data, but you need a filter on the input side.

Status
Not open for further replies.