A few trees down after Feb blizzard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, lot of trees down there. Look on the bright side.......lots of future firewood in your own backyard.

It's almost all white pine :mad:

considering milling some of the larger ones, but know little of milling and most of them are not easy access.
They're 7-15" DBH for the most part with the majority 7-9 :mad:

Easy to cut - no one wants them, especially for firewood.
I've cut one down and stripped to a log, I need beefier toys to move these logs around
especially at 35 feet long :eek:

I don't wan to cut them to 10 feet now in a rush and wish I had done 16 later
I'm sticking to getting the oak, cherry, and maple cut, s and s first.

Reactions: ScotO
You don't burn the pine at all? Makes good shoulder season wood, IMO. Before I joined this site I gave all my pine away....now I keep a good portion of it (logs for milling, smaller stuff for the evaporator and some SS wood). You may have to look into making a log drag and getting those puppies out of the woods for some milling. Maybe even build a woodshed out of the boards you end up with (that's what I'm going to do with the pine we mill later this spring)..

That pine will dry very quickly and burns just fine once it is dry.
I used a bunch of rough sawed pine for my shed build too. Good stuff for a variety of uses, and I'd go get it if accessible.
I've got more to get here on the property this year.
Git 'er dun!

Oh I burn pine, but good luck convincing anyone around here it's either safe or worth the effort.
I have so much pine I have a pine dump because I just can't use it all.
Now I have the time to put some effort into saving some of it.
But I couldn't sell it nor use it all for firewood. There's just too much.

I wouldn't have some of this primo 5-10 year seasoned red and white oak that burns like coal if I didn't burn some of the pine. Getting old and waking up in the middle of the night for no reason and stuffing the stove again since you're awake helps too. :p

Reactions: PapaDave
Since I started using more Pine, Maple, and Poplar, the Oak stays in the stacks longer.
This is a good thing.
I no longer get up in the middle of the night to reload the stove (unless it's below zero),....there's a different reason to get up nowadays.>>

Status
Not open for further replies.