Q&A A freestanding stove in a fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I want to run a piece of stove pipe from the top of my woodstove up through the flue and into the chimney. Here's the problem: the stove pipe is 8 inches across while the flue appears to be slightly less than eight inches wide (I have not yet measured but I'm pretty sure). Question is how to narrow the stove pipe to fit it through the flue opening. The chimney is a good 10 inches by 10 inches (inside dimensions). Any thoughts??? Thanks

Answer:

Installers usually use a flexible stainless steel oval to round tube that flattens out and does the job.
Another option is to remove part of the damper.
Stainless steel liner, either solid or flexible, should be used for chimney lining. Regular stove pipe will rust within a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.