A game of "name that stove"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawapa

Dec 4, 2008
Hopatcong, NJ
Hey, I'm posting this before I post a picture because I am currently not home and do not have access to the wire to upload pictures from my camera to the computer.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about what I think is a Jotul F 118 BP... after some scouring on the internet, the pictures I found of a stove of that general name/number seemed to match the stove I recently acquired. I saw that most Jotul stoves say JOTUL above the stove door, and this one has a vague "UL" in a position that would indicate it had, at one point, said JOTUL but as if the rest had been worn off by time. It has some fantastic artwork on the sides, as well.

I am going to be uploading pictures later or tomorrow, but I was looking to see if anyone knew if this might be an antique, a genuine Jotul (since it seems there are LOTS of knock-offs after reading through quite a few posts on this site), or anything at all about it... The stove is in pretty great condition with just a bit of rust on the removable top part and looks OLD.

Thanks in advance!
John

Yup, there were lots of Jotul knockoffs back in the 80's. Post a pic.

ok so it took a bit longer than a day to post a picture, but i'm going to include a couple links to photobucket pictures of the stove I have. Any information about what it could possibly be would be helpful.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC03280.jpg
    DSC03280.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC03283.jpg
    DSC03283.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 345
The stove brand name would not "wear off with time" as you suggest...

That's no F118. And unlikely a Jotul. If it is, there would be Jotul part numbers in the castings.

That appears to be a knock-off, it's missing some norweigen writing above the door on the heat exchanger box. It also would have writing below the door like in the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 320
Methinks the BP stands for blatant plagiarism. It's a knock-off, almost certainly made in Taiwan. It still may be a serviceable stove, but it sure doesn't appear to be a Jotul.

thanks for the input. would anyone have an idea what kind of stove it might be... unfortunately I am pretty new to the world of wood burning stoves, so I don't have much information about it. It is unfortunate that it does not have a name on it. If anyone had any positive input, it would be incredibly appreciated! I am hoping to sell it ASAP because I could use a bit more money for Christmas shopping ;) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.