1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

a good chimney brush & pole

Post in 'The Gear' started by sleepie, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleepie

sleepie New Member

Loc:
    elmira, new york
    in the market for a new brush & pole set--i'm thinking fiberglass , any good? what size? what brand? currently useing threded rod to heavy i don't like it..thanks for all your help,,,

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kevin j

kevin j Minister of Fire

Loc:
    minnesota us
    search function.
    there was a thread on fiberglass vs. rigid.
    I modifed the snap together pole set used for my snow roof rake, to fit the brush. works great, and not have more 'stuff' to store in my life.
    kcj
  3. Brian VT

Brian VT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern VT
    I used PVC electrical conduit. Less than $2.00 for a 10' length.
  4. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    ^yeah that's what Gooserider does too...he contributed to a thread and explained how he made it out of 3/4". I didn't realize it at the time but that conduit can almost bend over on itself so your can sweep the chimney from the basement. I was thinking about doing this myself cause mostly it's easier to get a better grip with 3/4 pipe.
  5. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Far Northern Calif. Coast
    Same here. PVC pipe is much cheaper.

Attached Files:

6. sleepie

sleepie New Member

Loc:
    elmira, new york
    are the couplers plastic or steel pipe?---looks good and cheap---thanks for the help--pat
  7. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    If you get the grey Non-Metallic-Conduit intended for electrical work, you don't need fittings between the sections, as each has a "belled" end that fits the next section. I think the grey stuff is also more flexible than the white plumbing pipe. The only fittings you will need is something to go from the male (non-belled) end of one tube to your brush. You can use the white PVC fittings from the plumbing department for that, I also had to use a schedule 40 reducer bushing to get down to the 1/4" NPT my brush is threaded for.

To keep the sections from coming apart, drill a hole through each assembled joint just big enough for a #10 or 1/4" bolt and nut. This will allow you to take the rod apart for storage. To put the brush coupler on, use normal PVC pipe cement.

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.