a good chimney brush & pole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepie

Dec 2, 2007
elmira, new york
in the market for a new brush & pole set--i'm thinking fiberglass , any good? what size? what brand? currently useing threded rod to heavy i don't like it..thanks for all your help,,,

search function.
there was a thread on fiberglass vs. rigid.
I modifed the snap together pole set used for my snow roof rake, to fit the brush. works great, and not have more 'stuff' to store in my life.
kcj

I used PVC electrical conduit. Less than $2.00 for a 10' length.

^yeah that's what Gooserider does too...he contributed to a thread and explained how he made it out of 3/4". I didn't realize it at the time but that conduit can almost bend over on itself so your can sweep the chimney from the basement. I was thinking about doing this myself cause mostly it's easier to get a better grip with 3/4 pipe.

Same here. PVC pipe is much cheaper.

Attachments

• ChimneyBrushWithRods.jpg
    ChimneyBrushWithRods.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 437
sleepie said:
are the couplers plastic or steel pipe?---looks good and cheap---thanks for the help--pat

If you get the grey Non-Metallic-Conduit intended for electrical work, you don't need fittings between the sections, as each has a "belled" end that fits the next section. I think the grey stuff is also more flexible than the white plumbing pipe. The only fittings you will need is something to go from the male (non-belled) end of one tube to your brush. You can use the white PVC fittings from the plumbing department for that, I also had to use a schedule 40 reducer bushing to get down to the 1/4" NPT my brush is threaded for.

To keep the sections from coming apart, drill a hole through each assembled joint just big enough for a #10 or 1/4" bolt and nut. This will allow you to take the rod apart for storage. To put the brush coupler on, use normal PVC pipe cement.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.