A good day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
A good friend and I have been trying to get together for about a month. He had a big Oak dropped and we both have stoves. Today, turned out to be "the day"

He was ready with a vintage Stihl, and a motor driven wood splitter. The oak was well down the hill, but he expertly cut, I hauled, then we both worked to get the wood into the splitter.

My '71 Dodge D100 now smells wonderful. Good oak laid in for next winter in the bed waiting to be stacked. I have one, possibly two more loads to pick up.

Next winter is going to be very cozy and warm. This year, I'll be heating with oak and locust from last summer.

I love the ritual. We talked about it today: months from now, when we are warm in front of the stove, we will think about the wood gathering we did today in the September sunshine.

pic's

I think you will be a lot warmer if that is the wood that is keeping you warm 2 winters (or more) from now.

Photo of loaded truck tomorrow. As for the rest fo the stack, I won't be able to get back to it until next week.

bmwloco said:
A good friend and I have been trying to get together for about a month. He had a big Oak dropped and we both have stoves. Today, turned out to be "the day"

He was ready with a vintage Stihl, and a motor driven wood splitter. The oak was well down the hill, but he expertly cut, I hauled, then we both worked to get the wood into the splitter.

My '71 Dodge D100 now smells wonderful. Good oak laid in for next winter in the bed waiting to be stacked. I have one, possibly two more loads to pick up.

Next winter is going to be very cozy and warm. This year, I'll be heating with oak and locust from last summer.

I love the ritual. We talked about it today: months from now, when we are warm in front of the stove, we will think about the wood gathering we did today in the September sunshine.
That's a great feeling! Some of the best memories are of gathering firewood with family and friends.

It's that time of year, isn't it???!!! I must have seen at least 3 fully loaded trailers with firewood on 'em yesterday. The only thought I kept having was "I wonder how many folks are burning that wood this year". But ohh well, to each his own, right?

Fall is here.....can't be much longer now....

I want to see the truck. I have a 72 D100 (different body style) all though its not allowed to cary wood as its been modified for the straight line.

Photo of truck, with wood, tomorrow.

I have a rare day off and plan to make the most of it. Unload the Dodge D100 (photo first) and then back to Saluda, NC for the remainder of the good oak.
Then back, and if I feel up to it, I'll unload again. Or park back under the carport and do it on Sunday.

Cutting fire wood makes you sweat but it is healthy and done with friends also makes good memories.

603031.jpg

My "stacked" 1971 Dodge D100 Sweptline, "Vivian" I've had her for over 20 years. She's hauled a lot of good wood, motorcycles, washing machines, recycling, mulch....

She's unloaded now, and resting in the carport waiting for her next task.

nice and the wood as well

WOW its a short Box. sooo cool. That thing is in amazingly good shape as well as rust free. I just realized that your from NC, and that is where I bought my truck 4 years ago.

Here is how I bought.

RightFrontCorner.jpg

and this is kinda what it looks like now. I did some half ass body work when I got it, but I am hopping to paint it this winter. did I mention it has a 440 and a 4-speed

D1003.jpg

I have had Viv since spring of 1989. After driving a D100 in Alaska that 1) always started 2) had a AM radio that always picked up a station 3) made good heat... well, I decided I had to have one. Viv has a legendary "slant 6" engine. I paid $800 for her.

"Viv" is an ex-Department of Agriculture Dodge. Puke green is the normal color. At 318,00 miles, the engine died. I put in a Jasper Remanufactured in 1997. Since then the transmission has been rebuilt (automatic) and the rear end has been done. I had her repainted about 8 years ago, the original green.

The interior is Mercedes Benz cloth. The local auto interior shop had it in stock. It made a big difference, and my old dogs love it.

She's a great wood hauler. I probably need to look for new shocks as her old ones (installed 12 years ago) are getting tired.

Here's to hoping we have another 20 years together.

bmwloco said:
603031.jpg

My "stacked" 1971 Dodge D100 Sweptline, "Vivian" I've had her for over 20 years. She's hauled a lot of good wood, motorcycles, washing machines, recycling, mulch....

She's unloaded now, and resting in the carport waiting for her next task.

my grandfather had one very similar to that year and color.
He and the truck are gone, but the racks are still in the garage rafters.
Painted to match the old Dodge.

Yup, I plan to let that sit for at least a year, maybe longer.

I have oak and locust that is ready for the stove, all over 3 years old.

Bring on the cold!

I almost had a good day. Took a look at craigslist around noon today, and there was a post for free pin oak, just felled and cut to stove length, and on the driveway for easy access. Can't beat that! Well maybe you can - - it was literally down the street from my house. So I did a drive-by on the way home from work, but all the manageable stuff was gone. Nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.