A Good Deed... on the way home from snow plowing...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
So a good deed turns into a possible gold mine. I and the kid was coming back from plowing my aunts drive way and her moms drive way about 2 miles away from home. While coming back home, I stop when I notice a minivan stuck in the snow in a driveway. Asked if they needed help. After about 15 minutes of dig out and pushing with the John Deere. The minivan got freed up. Well, it turns out he owns a arborist company. He asked if I burn wood, I said yea. His next words were you dont have to worry about wood for the next year. Hopefully this a connection that will work out. He told me to call him next week and he'd dump me a load of Oak in my driveway for the help. He's been looking at a place to dump extra wood. So crossing my fingers this works out, since he only live about 1/2 mile away.

!!!
You are now almost an official member of the "You Suck" club.
Man, I need to fall into some crap and come out smelling like a rose at some point.
Oh, and if no pics, you lose your membership.:cool: No oak leaf encrusted certificate, no nice plastic pinky ring with a piece of oak mounted, or any of the other assorted cool stuff you might receive.
Just sayin'.
Seriously, you paid it forward. Good on ya'.

His next words were you dont have to worry about wood for the next year...he'd dump me a load of Oak in my driveway
You don't have to worry about wood for the next three years...just stack that Oak and forget about it. ;lol;)
Seriously, great that you could contact that guy. I've been thinking about giving the guy that's done some work for me a call. Already-cut rounds dropped at the house? That takes at least half the work out of it. :cool:
If you're right on his way home, sounds like a win-win. :)

I'm sure hoping this works out. But don't want to count my chickens before eggs hatch either. Being a business after all. I'm sure it should work out. But.... But the bigger issue was solved the kids could go sledding this afternoon .

Amen and AMEN!

Good on ya, Chvymn99...I love reading posts like this. Makes my day, actually.....
Now why in the heck can't I run into a deal like this!:oops: ;hm:(

You out there pulling people out of ditches in the snow for free?

I said this to my neighbor last Monday. "If you take care of people, they will usually take care of you."

I bet you do plenty of good deeds. It just has to catch up to you.

You out there pulling people out of ditches in the snow for free?

I said this to my neighbor last Monday. "If you take care of people, they will usually take care of you."

I bet you do plenty of good deeds. It just has to catch up to you.
Actually, I plow my entire neighborhood out every time it snows.......for free.....
;)
Still waitin' for that good karma to come.my way. But honestly, the good Lord has blessed me with a healthy wife and kids, that's payback enough.......I don't mind helping others out, especially the ones who appreciate it.

Karma baby! You'll get that wood. Like Odd Ball said "Think that bridge will be there and it'll be there.":)

Actually, I plow my entire neighborhood out every time it snows.......for free.....
;)
Still waitin' for that good karma to come.my way. But honestly, the good Lord has blessed me with a healthy wife and kids, that's payback enough.......I don't mind helping others out, especially the ones who appreciate it.

Yeah, the wood gods might not be smiling down on you, but others probably are. Guessing the wood gods will too eventually. They probably know you are already set up pretty good with wood, so they are helping others out.

Fantastic. Contacts like that are priceless. Helping people is priceless (IMHO). I am waiting till spring to see if a new contact I made is gonna work out.

I probably yank an average of 3 cars/trucks out of the ditch on my road per year. Only one person has ever written a check that I cashed. He was drunk as a skunk but close to home. He PROMISED he was heading straight home. He insisted that he write me a $100 check that I had every intention of shredding. He got nailed 1.5 hours later for his 4th DUI. I cashed the check (mind you, this was at 2:00 a.m. on a Tue night).

Well I made contact with him just a little bit ago. He sounds like he'll have a surplus of wood to drop off. So now we have to get rid of some this snow so that work can start.

Well I made contact with him just a little bit ago. He sounds like he'll have a surplus of wood to drop off. So now we have to get rid of some this snow so that work can start.

Great! Hope it works out well for you!!

Reactions: chvymn99
Awesome story to start the weekend with!

Talk about good karma !

Nice !

;)
you GET IT!

So a good deed turns into a possible gold mine. I and the kid was coming back from plowing my aunts drive way and her moms drive way about 2 miles away from home. While coming back home, I stop when I notice a minivan stuck in the snow in a driveway. Asked if they needed help. After about 15 minutes of dig out and pushing with the John Deere. The minivan got freed up. Well, it turns out he owns a arborist company. He asked if I burn wood, I said yea. His next words were you dont have to worry about wood for the next year. Hopefully this a connection that will work out. He told me to call him next week and he'd dump me a load of Oak in my driveway for the help. He's been looking at a place to dump extra wood. So crossing my fingers this works out, since he only live about 1/2 mile away.
To Quote Seinfeld...gonna be a one upper here...My wife had her 50th birthday party last weekend and her best friend's husband I find out is an arborist with 50 cords of wood split, seasoned and he is selling it...he says "but for friends it is free, let me know what you need, I will deliver it to you and my truck will handle 4-5 cords at a time...I ran over and hugged him so hard and thought about kissing him

To Quote Seinfeld...gonna be a one upper here...My wife had her 50th birthday party last weekend and her best friend's husband I find out is an arborist with 50 cords of wood split, seasoned and he is selling it...he says "but for friends it is free, let me know what you need, I will deliver it to you and my truck will handle 4-5 cords at a time...I ran over and hugged him so hard and thought about kissing him

Congrats, its sometimes funny how close you are to stuff like this and not even know it. Life is about connections and those moments when you find those connections. Keep giving and it will keep giving back.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
To Quote Seinfeld...gonna be a one upper here...My wife had her 50th birthday party last weekend and her best friend's husband I find out is an arborist with 50 cords of wood split, seasoned and he is selling it...he says "but for friends it is free, let me know what you need, I will deliver it to you and my truck will handle 4-5 cords at a time...

That'll only take 10 or 11 trips then, awesome! :)

That'll only take 10 or 11 trips then, awesome! :)
gonna cost me a few hundy in gas money...but well worth not cutting, loading, hauling and splitting

chvymn99, reading your post just made my day! Thank you.

Well, it finally happened today. Hadn't lost total faith, but was also facing the reality of it just might not happening either. He dumped off a load of walnut and Black Locust, with some other couple of limbs. Mostly all Walnut and a few Black locust. So it time to fire up the saw and start working on these. Really I'm over joyed, needed some solid shoulder season wood. And this will really be my first Black Locust score for me. The last time I got it, I gave it all to my neighbor.

Good things come to those who wait .....so they say. You will like that black locust, it is my favorite of any wood I burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.