A good laugh for the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgmt

Feb 22, 2010
maine
I figured that after burning 6 bags through the stove I would clean it so I scraped everything down and turned on the shop vac but I missed the memo to check to make sure no one took the filter off. I have been cleaning soot all morning I'm glad my wife wasn't here to see that little screw up.

I did that vacuuming out the furnace firebox one year after brushing down the tubes. Forgot to exhaust the vacuum out the window. When I looked back at the basement it looked foggy. Everthing was covered in a fine coating. Cleaning it SUCKED.
Mike -

I use my vac as a blower to clean the exhaust, made a little flat adaptor that fits over the comb fan opening, stick the hose in and blast away. Note to self, make sure to convert back over to vac mode before trying the clean out the ash pan area. OMG what a mess, I had black snot for a week.

Not to date myself here but this reminded me of an old Laurel and Hardy movie.....I'm not going to laugh too hard...My time is coming!

Chan

When i was a rookie (winter 97-98) i forgot to check the shop vac filter fit, and went to town clearing a smokeshelf for a liner job. The smoke shelf had clearly never been emptied as it was overflowing,
When i got my head out of the firebox (or arse, hehe) i noticed the cloud of soot i had pumped into the customers immaculate living room. About that time the lead installer and the customer both came back from outside and the shxt hit the fan...
After we gave cpr to the customer, we told her we'd hire a pro to come and clean up. Clean up bill (with new curtains and paint) was a couple grand....i was glad to keep my job after that one!

To this day i never fail to plug the vac in and test it outside the home before every use, and instruct my techs to do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.