A Good Maine Pellet!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like we all are seaching for the magic pellet that cleans up after itself,the by product of burning wood is ash.
So whats more important to you Heat,Ash content and price.
The premium pellets 5.59/ 6.00 a bag. Its a messy heat source,bottom line.

Looks like one more week for me, Smokey, hope that's it ............... everybody that's been bitchin' for the last 40 years about how bad their job sux is all teary eye whiney gonna miss it so much best years of my life crap now ................. hey it was a good ride while it lasted, gonna sign up for whatever I can get, hope I get a good rep for the TAA stuff, wanna go for my pilots license ...................

If your talking about Bucksport Ive work there in the tanks for Stebbins as a mason for 30 years and when we had some lose tile they jusy wanted us to tear em off the walls,I knew then a couple years ago they were on their way out.

If your talking about Bucksport Ive work there in the tanks for Stebbins as a mason for 30 years and when we had some lose tile they jusy wanted us to tear em off the walls,I knew then a couple years ago they were on their way out.
Yeah, Bucksport, Harry ............. If you were in with Stebbins, I'm sure we met at some point, I did the safety training for contractors for a few years before they put it on computer ........

Yeah, Bucksport, Harry ............. If you were in with Stebbins, I'm sure we met at some point, I did the safety training for contractors for a few years before they put it on computer ........

Well Hoss sorry about the job lost,best of luck.I been in just about every mill from Maine to Mississippi and paper industry taking a beating.Sappi is putting alot of money into the mill and the Natural gas conversion,is a help.You remember Norman Paquette that was his mill Champion.lol hope new doors open up for you.

It's all relative. MWPs are good, but I was talking about great pellets. There are pellets made elsewhere that are great and MWPs could be great if they weren't so dusty and ashy. When I empty a bag of pellets in the hopper, I'd prefer it if that half cup of fines didn't fly up out of the hopper. Who wants that? Can't burn the dust and fines that don't go in the hopper.

Easy on the pouring helps in getting those fines into the hopper. But even then, some stove feed systems have issues with a lot of fines over time.

Shipping and handling doesn't help. Moisture doesn't help. Binders do help but can cause other issues. Make a list and ask the makers how they manufacture the pellets and maybe the solution will present itself.

Reactions: Harry_handlebars
In my Quad Castile the MWP are just ok for heat, but my stove quickly becomes dirty.
I buy then because they are relatively cheap, and burn them on warmer days saving the good stuff for cold days.
The Maine Choice pellets are in my opinion worse then the MWP

Last edited:
In my Quad Castile the MWP are just ok for heat, but my stove quickly becomes dirty.
I buy then because they are relatively cheap, and burn them on warmer days saving the good stuff for cold days.
The Maine Choice pellets are in my opinion worse then the MWP

Ive found them both to be pretty ashy but the classic bay has a massive ash tray. Ive burned a lot of Maines Choice ashy but the cheapest thing around. At times last year I could get a bag for about $3.00 at Lowes with coupons and savings with gift cards that I got discounted. All I had to do was deal with a massive amount of ash in the tray after two weeks.

I guess the type of stove makes a difference. I have burned a few bags of Maine's Choice and found them much less ashy than Fireside Ultras and they didn't coat the glass as much either. They are all better than my wood stove was so it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.