A good primer on the science behind chimneys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very educational. It's interesting to note that most old houses (1700 - 1900) built in the mid-Atlantic region have chimneys built into one or both end walls. These are not truly "inside" or "outside", but rather captured within the thickness of the wall. In New England, it was common to put the chimney inside the house, typically centrally located. It's often claimed that's because they wanted to pick up the radiant heat off the chimney, but I don't see why folks in Philadelphia wouldn't want the same effect. I believe instead, it was just the customs of the local builders, brought over from their old-world educations.

I believe instead, it was just the customs of the local builders, brought over from their old-world educations.

Or lack thereof. The Philly area is normally 10-15 degrees warmer and much hotter in the summer. Back in colonial days it was a malarial swamp and folks vacated the area, including the Continental Congress. Maybe it was just easier to heat? Sounds like a worthy research project.

It might have just been the current style. Here's a colonial house in New Hampshire with chimneys at both ends.Maybe that kept the summer cooking heat from the rest of the house?

georgian-sandwich-nh-jc-9090083.JPG

http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/history/17761976/1976_4.htm

Interesting to note : "The average colonial family used 30-40 cords per year, the equivalent of one acre of woods, to heat their homes and to cook their meals."

...Interesting to note : "The average colonial family used 30-40 cords per year, the equivalent of one acre of woods, to heat their homes and to cook their meals."

Oh c,mon...they gotta be talkin' "Colonial face cords" here. ;lol

Reactions: firefighterjake
Or lack thereof. The Philly area is normally 10-15 degrees warmer and much hotter in the summer. Back in colonial days it was a malarial swamp and folks vacated the area, including the Continental Congress. Maybe it was just easier to heat? Sounds like a worthy research project.

It might have just been the current style. Here's a colonial house in New Hampshire with chimneys at both ends.Maybe that kept the summer cooking heat from the rest of the house?

View attachment 71876

http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/history/17761976/1976_4.htm

Interesting to note : "The average colonial family used 30-40 cords per year, the equivalent of one acre of woods, to heat their homes and to cook their meals."

Your factoid about cord usage is amazing. No wonder Europe ran out of forests at one point. I can't even imagine splitting and stacking that. I bet it was all wet and smoldery instead of seasoned

30 cords of oak would be about 120,000 pounds of wood burned annually. Next time a teenager gives you grief about household chores, throw that fact in their face.

Reactions: BrianK
30 cords of oak would be about 120,000 pounds of wood burned annually. Next time a teenager gives you grief about household chores, throw that fact in their face.

My back hurts just thinking about it. <>

Your factoid about cord usage is amazing. No wonder Europe ran out of forests at one point. I can't even imagine splitting and stacking that. I bet it was all wet and smoldery instead of seasoned

And this was just for wood burning. Shipbuilding took an even heavier toll in some areas. It's said that at one point in Ireland and parts of England that you could ride all day without seeing a single tree. The thought is also that deforestation contributed to the extinction of the passenger pigeon (and likely many other species).

deforestation.jpg

And this was just for wood burning. Shipbuilding took an even heavier toll in some areas. It's said that at one point in Ireland and parts of England that you could ride all day without seeing a single tree. The thought is also that deforestation contributed to the extinction of the passenger pigeon (and likely many other species).

View attachment 71888

That is sad. I'm not one to scream about the world shouldn't have humans, but it is sad to think about all those forests taken away forever.

Early in the Industrial Revolution (until mining for coal began in earnest), wood was still the most widely used fuel. Thus, locomotives, steamboats, and stationary steam engines (including those that powered sawmills ;)) all were voracious wood-burners.

Wood was also used to create iron for colonial America.

There's exceptions to every rule! I do think New England favored the central chimney more than Philadelphia, where end chimneys are the dominant form.

Ouch! I do have a few old pre-industrial firewood saws, and they cut mighty fast, on par with a good bowsaw. That said, it gets old after the first round is bucked. I can't imagine processing 30 - 40 cords without the aid of a chainsaw. Then again, I suspect that's 30 - 40 cords per "household", most households consisting of several members beyond the nuclear family (and more than our current average 2.3 kids per household).

Early in the Industrial Revolution (until mining for coal began in earnest), wood was still the most widely used fuel. Thus, locomotives, steamboats, and stationary steam engines (including those that powered sawmills ;)) all were voracious wood-burners.

This is interesting. It does seem most steam engines in America were burning wood prior to 1850, whereas England had replaced almost all wood-burning appliances with coal during the late 1500's. By 1600, you'd be hard-pressed to find the average person burning wood for any application in Wales, Ireland, or England.

Well, it's good to know that I'm a little more efficient at heating my home with my 7-9 cords a winter...

Perhaps because there was no more wood, where in America it was still in plentiful supply. They used most of it up by the mid 1600s with ship building taking the bulk of what remained. The colonies regularly exported wood for this purpose.

Reactions: firecracker_77
Unlike in America, in England there was abundant readily available coal on or near the surface that could be gathered without mining.

View attachment 71888

Yes, but that map only shows remaining "virgin" forests. Our rotations now are only a few decades and whether or not the forest is virgin makes no difference to the heat made when it burns. I'm not sure how good the colonials were at planting trees but a similar chart showing just plain forested areas would certainly look different.

30-40 real cords? I have my doubts. I expect that the definition of cord was different. They also had to make hay, grow crops, brew beer, chase off indians, etc. I just can't see how that much wood could be processed.

Yes, but that map only shows remaining "virgin" forests. Our rotations now are only a few decades and whether or not the forest is virgin makes no difference to the heat made when it burns. I'm not sure how good the colonials were at planting trees but a similar chart showing just plain forested areas would certainly look different.

30-40 real cords? I have my doubts. I expect that the definition of cord was different. They also had to make hay, grow crops, brew beer, chase off indians, etc. I just can't see how that much wood could be processed.

This sounds like claims of walking 10 miles to school in a foot of snow. Not the same measurement as today.

Hard to say, I wasn't measuring. Go to the section on wood here:

http://www.engr.psu.edu/mtah/articles/colonial_wood_water.htm

Some differences were that they were burning constantly, year round. They didn't let the fire go out because there were no matches to restart it. And they were burning in open fireplaces, so a whole lot of the heat went up the chimney.

Found a little more definitive source that seems to confirm the 30 cord figure, real cords too. They used a crap load of wood. Source is Almanacs of American Life by Thomas Purvis. This is from the Colonial America to 1763 book.

wood consume .PNG
wood sonsume 2.PNG

http://bit.ly/Rb9zus

Reactions: firecracker_77
Status
Not open for further replies.