A good time...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeC

Dec 3, 2008
SE PA
I would like if there is an off season to purchase a stove or insert? Is it wise to purchase one during the end of winter or being of spring where the store is trying to sell off older models?

thanks

Well the early summer months are good but I am betting that the new bad economy will have some interesting sales. Do not wait more than this next summer for my guess is as soon as the economy starts to turn around oil will go up and stove prices follow.

Ordinarily, an 'end of season' deal would be best...trouble is what is 'end of season' anymore? This year there were back-to-school supplies and Christmas decorations in adjacent isles of the local stores...Halloween goodies got crammed in there for a month or so, then it's been full blown Christmas since Nov 1!

I'd say just keep your eye out where ever you plan to buy your stove and be prepared to buy. Will lower heating fuel prices put the hearth industry in a decline as it has with the biofuels industry trying to compete with foreign oil? Only time will tell. One thing that is for certain...especially if you plan to cut your own wood...now is the time to be gathering for next year. (Actually, last summer/fall would have been better) but get the wood first so it can start seasoning, then worry about the stove and install in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.