A good wood man is hard to find (Asheville, NC)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2012
Asheville, NC
I'm realizing quickly that my regular wood man is pretty darn good. He delivers about 7/8th of a cord for $200. In Asheville, NC, that isn't cheap. But the wood is all consistent length and split - no burls, no bugs, mostly straight, clean pieces. His wood isn't always seasoned, so I buy in March for the next Winter. I've got plenty of hardwood racked and seasoning.

I decided this week to look for some Maple and Poplar. I wanted some wood for those days that start off cool and then warm up. I like softer woods for cool, early-season mornings, because the fire burns down quickly when you want to stop the heating process. I knew my regular wood man would be buried about now, and most of his wood would be green, so I shopped around on Craigslist.

The first guys brought maple, and advertised it as 1/2 a cord. It was a truckload - not quite half a cord. But the splits were huge with many big branch collars, and I will have to split it down smaller myself. For $80, a fair to middlin' deal, considering I still have to work the wood a little more.

The second "load" I purchased was from a Michigan transplant, so I was hopeful. What a mess. He advertised a seasoned cord of wood in 16" lengths for $100, which sounded like a great deal - except he meant "face cord". (If someone says cord, I think 4'x4'x8' - not a face cord! That seems disingenuous to me.) He showed up late, in the dark. The lengths varied from 4" to 24", including a wheelbarrow load of tiny pieces. Some was seasoned, some wasn't. Very disappointing.

I appreciate my regular wood guy even more after these experiences. Though I wish I had a few more options in my area, which is why I was shopping to try other sources. If you live in the Asheville area, and you have a truly great wood man or woman, please let me know!

Whenever I sold wood on Craigslist I always tried to describe when the wood was CSS. That along with species gave I think the most honest explanation. I never had a MM, so I couldn't quote moisture content, but also always said so.

Status
Not open for further replies.