A graple load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
I'm about to pull the trigger on a grapple load of wood. Current price is $800, he claims a load to be 8-9 cords when cut and split. They have a lot down the road from me where they load some trucks but he said they were cutting fairly far. If they were cutting closer it would be less. Anyway, is that going rate? Are his claims of 8-9 cords close? This is a big tri-axle straight truck.

I'm a long way from upstate NY and the CDN dollar is not at par but I paid $1200 for 12 cord for Black Ash. What kind of wood you be talking about?

Sounds like a fair price to me.

well the price isn't bad it is fair but if you call around you might be able to get a local guy bring it csd for just about the same price (if he has a processor)
people need money nowadays..... in my area the loads were going for 500-900 bucks depending on who etc
some tree guys will bring you bucked wood 100 or less a cord that to me is a better deal as it is a lot less work for you

A local guy quoted me the same price recently here in Ct.

A guy here in MI quoted me $1350 for ten log length cords of red oak but that is a lot of work compared to buying mixed hard woods at $150 a cord cut and split. Just because he is quoting that price may not mean he is inflexible. You are looking for a deal if your labor and added expense put you over his prices you have not gained. Get the dimensions of his truck's cargo capacity to get a cubic foot estimate. I have placed an order for 6 cord and the guys truck will hold two cord in log lengths. I'm being billed $100 per two cord load. Get aggressive looking for wood now because fuel prices are slated to go up according to the "new" administration. Later this summer the guy you are referencing may want half as much more for the same load. It's not easy for many of us right now and every dollar we save on one thing will give us more for the next thing and that will help the economy better than any of the stimulus packages we have seen lately.

Cave2k said:
A guy here in MI quoted me $1350 for ten log length cords of red oak but that is a lot of work compared to buying mixed hard woods at $150 a cord cut and split. Just because he is quoting that price may not mean he is inflexible. You are looking for a deal if your labor and added expense put you over his prices you have not gained. Get the dimensions of his truck's cargo capacity to get a cubic foot estimate. I have placed an order for 6 cord and the guys truck will hold two cord in log lengths. I'm being billed $100 per two cord load. Get aggressive looking for wood now because fuel prices are slated to go up according to the "new" administration. Later this summer the guy you are referencing may want half as much more for the same load. It's not easy for many of us right now and every dollar we save on one thing will give us more for the next thing and that will help the economy better than any of the stimulus packages we have seen lately.

I AGREE TOTALLY
i am shopping right now and can get 150csd but trying to get a better deal... i don't have a splitter so that adds 75 bucks to my total price if i by it usplit.. 4 cords =475 (11o bucks a cord) 4 csd =600 .. i am tryig to get 4 cords csd for 500 so lets see where it goes...

Get it cut, split and pile it so it starts seasoning.
You really do not need the shed until the fall. It will season better in the open anyway.

I called 2 companies this weekend. I had no idea who sells truckloads until a coworker got me 2 numbers.
1 place was 11-12cord at 85 per, plus 200 delivery. So figure about 105/cord. But, they include up to 10% softwood.

The second guy I called is 95/cord for various oaks and 'maybe a stick or two of maple'. That's delivered. More than I really want to pay but better than buying cut/split from the guy at work - $145/cord for oak/beech/maple but I gotta drive 40 miles each way to get it which elevates the cost to about 160 - and I can only feasibly handle 1 cord at a time on the trailer.

Going to be splitting the cost with a coworker who conveniently has enough space to get it dropped. I'll still have to haul it from his place, about 15 miles.

Hurricane said:
Get it cut, split and pile it so it starts seasoning.
You really do not need the shed until the fall. It will season better in the open anyway.
Yes, I'm anxious to get it and get to work. The shed will be more like a carport, a shed like roof off the back of the garage with open sides.

I don't want to handle the wood anymore then I have to. I was going to have it delivered to a co-workers house and cut/split there. I would rather be able to work a few hours every day than spend every weekend at a buddies house. To make it worth the drive I would need to bring home a truckload every time I went up there. And I have to handle it more to load and unload the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.