A Great Afternoon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teekal

Nov 28, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
A while back I posted a Wood I.D. thread concerning a row of about two dozen standing dead trees in my Dad's backyard.

I am heading into my second year in my new house with a wood stove, and so I'm still trying to get ahead with burnable wood supply. I am slowly starting to get enough wood for this season, but still anxious about not having enough. My strategy has been to find as many trees on the smaller side that are standing and dead, with a low enough moisture level that I can burn already this season.

Yesterday my pops came to his back yard with me to help me find some. We took down 4 tall trees, all of which were less than 20% moisture nearly throughout (some of the stuff near the stump was low 20% which I will split and set aside for next year.

I am feeling a lot better about my supply for this year, and looking forward to a couple more days like this when I have time to get out again. After I have enough for this winter I'll start splitting and stacking the many piles of unseasoned wood that I have waiting for me but can't seem to find time to get to yet!

Pic's or it didn't happen

Pic's or it didn't happen

Haha, fair enough. Here is a picture of the trees that I took about a month ago before cutting anything down. This is about half of what's there.

I'll try to get a picture next time I'm back there of the stuff that I cut yesterday (it was too wet to take the truck back there, so I haven't loaded up the wood yet).

20151001_171142.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.