A great score this week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
As most of the regulars here know, I burn nut shells in my two whitfields.

The big issue is being able to store enough shells to last all winter and into the following fall season when the next crop comes along.

I have quite a few 55 gallon barrels and a bunch of smaller containers as well as a handful of the plastic garbage cans with wheels that I have found at garage sales.

Our storage capacity was still lacking a lot so I started watching Craigs List last week and found a fellow that was about 25 miles away that had ten 55 gallon barrels with removable lids.

Got the lot of them at $10 each.

Got them all home and stacked up waiting for the shells to be available. Mid november I am told.

This latest bunch of containers will increase my storage capacity by 2 tons approximately.

Really hurts me when I pay for a truck full of shells and then end up having to dump a bunch out in the field.

Waste not want not doncha know

Found several people offereing barrels, but they want $20-$25 each. NOOOOOOOO, too much for my budgit.

New ones are about $70 each.

Used to get them from the local commercial bakery for $5 each. Hmmmm times have changed eh ???

The Shell Piggy rides again. ! ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.