A Greenhouse with No Windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
I don't intend to smoke mine. That only makes you more hungry.

Red-Blue LED lighting is pretty popular for greenhouse growing. You can get the panels via Amazon.

I checked them out and I'm a little leery. Good for suplementation but I just cant justify $400 worth of lights for $100 worth of seedlings. Within the next 5 years there will be some big time gains with LEDs that allow for major power increases. Hopefully these trickle down into the growing aparatus.

Depending on how much light you need you can use regular flor. lights with gro tubes, dont ask how I know this, plus metal halide lights work also.

I like the setup where they grow lettuce on top of fish tanks with Tilapia in the tanks.The fish fertilizes the lettuce and the lettuce cleans the water. Sure beats those imported tilapia grown in sewer pits in vietnam.

oldspark said:
Depending on how much light you need you can use regular flor. lights with gro tubes, dont ask how I know this, plus metal halide lights work also.

Both flourescents and HPS/MH are for visual light and they do very well. The real interesting thing about LED is they don't waste wattage on a part of the spectrum that a plant is not interested in using. Reds and blues, some white are what these do, so you can get the same grow rate with a fraction of the wattage and heat build up, meaning you can get real close to the plants. There are a lot of things to work out but its going to happen very quickly as growers figure out the magical mixture. You may indeed be able to grow your own food indoors for what it costs to ship it from a foreign country. Paying for and heating the extra space would be a challenge but instead of a 1000w HPS you may be talking about a 100 watt LED grow light. That's a lot of tomatoes.

The covert pot growers are loving it. The cops can't track heat or electrical usage!

Status
Not open for further replies.