A Group Photo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
As happens almost everyday, I am running the saw when suddenly I get the feeling I'm being watched. I look up and see this:
IMG_0730%20(1024x768).jpg

They make me smile every time I see them. Today I was lucky enough to get this group photo. I dropped the saw, pulled the camera out of my pocket, and CLICK!

And here is another one of my friends checking out my work:
IMG_0717%20(1024x768).jpg

i count 13 for sure, maybe 14. looks like they aren't stressed from the weather. no "fuzzy face" and haven't lost that fat/tallow reserve found above their rear end.

when the winters are real tough, they come running to the sound of a chain saw. i have met some old timers that have cut cedar boughs during tough winters and the "timber rats" were so hungry, they actually ate while the ol timers held the boughs for them!! (saw the pics)

Nice pictures. I miss seeing the deer #s like that. Our deer herd has really declined in #s in the last 10 years. I used to work in the woods as a faller. The 1st week on a job the deer would come out and eat on the tops when I was having lunch on the landing . After the 1st week I would be limbing the 3nd tree and they were already eating the 1st one.

quads said:
As happens almost everyday, I am running the saw when suddenly I get the feeling I'm being watched. I look up and see this:

They make me smile every time I see them. Today I was lucky enough to get this group photo. I dropped the saw, pulled the camera out of my pocket, and CLICK!

And here is another one of my friends checking out my work:

What species of wood is that Quads?

Thanks! But really it's the critters that make the picture, I just stand there and push the shutter button.....

In the full size version of the deer photo I counted 15. This year's herd is smaller than last year when there were 30+. Most of the trails are planted to stuff that the deer like to eat, and there are 3 small fields in this part of the woods that are filled with crops just for the deer to eat. My neighbor does all that and even dug a pond for them (the nearest natural water is a couple miles away otherwise).

As for the kind of wood in the nuthatch pic; it's a mixture. The small rounds that the bird is inspecting are Black Oak and the splits above him are White Oak.

Great pictures quads.

As for the pond the fellow dug, even though we have over 1/4 mile of creek on one of our lines, the deer will still come to the water holes we dug for them rather than drinking from the creek. It is sort of like the dogs. Let it rain and the dog drinks from muddy puddles rather than clear fresh water. Well, I'm not going to try it; let the animals do all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.