A healthy ash in Michigan!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
This ash tree is on my brothers mother in laws property. It has to be the healthiest ash tree I've seen in a long time! You can see some other smaller ones in the picture that are about gone. We might actually try a soil drench on this one to see if it helps, it's a real nice tree and is worth the small effort/investment to give it a try.

My brothers property and his mother in laws have a bunch and most have seen far better days. We'll be taking out some this year and the rest will probably make it another season or two before we cut them.

Attachments

• DSC_0421_277.jpg
    DSC_0421_277.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 354
I have one in my yard thats still healthy but all of them in the surrounding woods are dead. I even burn ash at home and they still havent found that tree.

It's getting close to the power line and needs to come down.

I have 20 3 year old ash that are doing very well and being treated for bores as well. The ash will live on atleast at my house.

We still don't have the disease except for a few in Milwaukee. I am sure some day they will be here and will be a sad day. Does the beetle kill small ash trees too or just the bigger ones. I have several hundred ash about 1-5' tall growing naturally and was wondering if I can do anything to stop the beetle. Is there anything that has worked so far.

ihookem said:
I wondering if I can do anything to stop the beetle. Is there anything that has worked so far.

I've wondered the same thing about the small ones myself. I have a half dozen or so full sized dead or dying ash on my property but very large number of small ones that are growing great. I figure once the bigger ones are gone they'll attach the small ones.

Injections seem to be working great for treatment but probably only an affordable choice if you want to save one that provides shade in your yard or something.

For home owners a soil drench seems to be the best reasonable choice. You can use the Bayer advanced product. http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-s...h-tree-shrub-insect-control-landscape-formula I think I'm going to pick some of my smaller ash tree's and start treating them with this in the spring.

If you have one ash that is decent sized and seems resistant it would be worth contacting a local agricultural extension office (or the local equivalent).
A resistant tree could be the basis for starting again; there are efforts in that direction for American Chestnut and American Elm.

rdust said:
ihookem said:
I wondering if I can do anything to stop the beetle. Is there anything that has worked so far.

I've wondered the same thing about the small ones myself. I have a half dozen or so full sized dead or dying ash on my property but very large number of small ones that are growing great. I figure once the bigger ones are gone they'll attach the small ones.

Injections seem to be working great for treatment but probably only an affordable choice if you want to save one that provides shade in your yard or something.

For home owners a soil drench seems to be the best reasonable choice. You can use the Bayer advanced product. http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-s...h-tree-shrub-insect-control-landscape-formula I think I'm going to pick some of my smaller ash tree's and start treating them with this in the spring.

Bayer what I am using now.

I saw some healthy ash trees at Leelanau State Park, north of Traverse City. I was surprised, since it is a campground.
I've noticed the bigger trees around here seem like they went first. My small(less than 1') trees are dead, but still have bark on them. Most all that I have over 2' have been long dead and the trunks have almost no bark left, or it peels off very easily.

dougstove said:
If you have one ash that is decent sized and seems resistant it would be worth contacting a local agricultural extension office (or the local equivalent).
A resistant tree could be the basis for starting again; there are efforts in that direction for American Chestnut and American Elm.

Unfortunately, I don't think it works that way for an insect pest. The Chestnut blight and Dutch elm disease are caused by a fungus - which is possible for a tree to develop resistance to - however, I don't think its as easy for a tree to become resistant to an insect pest - usually, in those cases - the effort is to try to remove the pest (for example dumping lady bugs from planes to eat pine beetles). This is also the reason that nobody is looking into enhancing resistance to the hemlock wholly adelgid - since its an aphid like pest insect. They were looking into introducing a native (from asia) predator for the adelgid, but I don't think that worked out.

the problem is that we can't be happy enough with all the cool plants that we already have in this country - we have to go and import all kinds of exotic crap from all over the world so our yards can look all fancy. I'm pretty sure all of the major tree die offs have been related to an introduction of a pest from plants imported (usually from asia). So, I extend 'buy local' by 'american made products' to living things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.