A homeowners UGH! moment...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My late FIL was an architect. He was all about following "code" to the point of over-building. My brother is a building inspector in MA. When I read posts like the OP's I get really pissed off. What the hell was the building inspector doing (or not doing!)? (on the tax payer's dime), and what the hell was the dip-_hit "builder" doing when he put up a building that wouldn't have passed code in my town when we built in 1991?? No one "caught" the oversight? gimme a break! Pass the buck and make some more excuses. Spare me.

I have nothing to offer in terms of "corrections", but I share your outrage. This kind of "oversight" affects everyone who pays taxes and home owner's insurance policies.

And that is why I freely admit to not bothering with permits most of the time. Too many jobs where the inspectors just walk in and walk out without looking at anything OR they walk right past major structural deficiencies and then start ranting and raving about railing heights (that haven't been installed yet). And let's not mention that sometimes inspections only happen on Tues and Thur from 10am to noon, then you spend the day waiting for them only to have them not show up! Its readily apparent that the town is only permitting as a tax and then to trigger a new property appraisal. I work for my money, if they won't work for theirs they ain't getting any!

My late FIL was an architect. He was all about following "code" to the point of over-building. My brother is a building inspector in MA. When I read posts like the OP's I get really pissed off. What the hell was the building inspector doing (or not doing!)? (on the tax payer's dime), and what the hell was the dip-_hit "builder" doing when he put up a building that wouldn't have passed code in my town when we built in 1991?? No one "caught" the oversight? gimme a break! Pass the buck and make some more excuses. Spare me.

I have nothing to offer in terms of "corrections", but I share your outrage. This kind of "oversight" affects everyone who pays taxes and home owner's insurance policies.

i dont know how to take this, if it was a jab at me or what. either way, i feel inspectors need to do their job, as do contractors. i took for granted that my contractor and the inspectors were doing their jobs. i will never do that again- thats for sure. so i learned an expensive lesson. but the same thing happens when your car breaks down and you dont know much about cars. you are trusting someone else. i trust my new contractor, but i think he is getting a bit annoyed with my over-the-shoulder behavior.... he tells me to stop worrying. easy for him to say!

anyway, im happy to report that 3 new LVL's are in place along with collar ties, more insulation, and a lowered ceiling. drywall was hung yesterday. gonna be finihsed and painted next week. in the end i should have a much more rigid, warmer structure overall.

I don't see it as a jab at ya

You've got a right to over see your project. It's YOUR house and YOUR money, that's what I tell my customers when they apologize for asking a million questions. They're the ones paying me, I work for them, my guys have this drilled into them as well.

IF the customer starts making suggestions about HOW to go about doing something, at a certain point I will point out to them that I am the one that does this for a living and that I passed their reference checks and they hired me for my skills and know how, we all agree on the finish product, I need to be allowed to take my own road to get there.

I just told a new customer that it would be best for him to find a new contractor as he started telling me that he wanted me to use Pergo flooring to trim out his spiral staircase. Original plan was all oak, but he found and bought Pergo oak laminate cause it was "already finished" , then refused to hear me out on the half a dozen reasons why it wouldn't work and wrapped up by telling me his idea is the best was to go about it.
So just try not tobe that guy.

Definitely not a "jab", Straight-Shoot. Having family members who worked in the building trades for many years has sensitized me to slip-shod, half-assed work, and scant attention to those "pesky details". I am a seamstress and technical details really do matter (marine canvas/slipcovers/cushions/classic tailoring&alterations). There's never time to do it correctly, but somehow there's always time to do it over. Go figure.

well, a little over 2 weeks of inconvience and its done. three new LVLs in place along with lots of extra structure and collar ties. i now have a lowered ceiling (which i really like), 2x the insulation in my attic (i made them go to r60), no more drywall cracks or nail pops and new paint thoughout. stuctural repair came in under budget, drywall/painter came in over about the same. so im happy.... for now. it does look nice. i have pics, but they dont come out too well given the angles and such. painted an accent wall green, it looks great.

happy burning,

Status
Not open for further replies.