A How-To For Installing a Replacement Igniter in a Harman PF100 Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New England Scene

Dec 22, 2014
New England
Installing a replacement igniter in the Harman PF100 does not have to take as long as it took me first time around. I want to share my step-by-step as a guide to others. It is certainly not described in the PF100 Owner's Manual. If I can save you some time, great. If you have any comments or suggestions from experience, I would like to hear them.

I have the PF100 with the older igniter. Mine lasted almost 5 years without replacement. I bought the updated manual on Amazon.

What to do first...

Try to empty the hopper of pellets. The weight of the pellets might cause the door to stay open if you happen to move the auger.

Clean out the burn pot as best you can, with an ash vacuum if you have it or brushes.

Access: the igniter itself is accessed from the burn pot. The wires, which must be pulled through the burn pot to disconnect and reconnect the igniter, are accessed through the mechanical hood section on the side of the machine. You will need to work both sides to change the igniter.

Removing the Igniter

Remove the burn pot plate by loosening the wing nuts. The igniter is screwed into the inside of burn pot inside of a bracket with two screws, the screw heads are on the front of the burn pot. Remove the screws and release the bracket.

Note: 1) the wire side of the bracket is toward the door to the burn chamber. 2) the igniter is facing downward from the bracket in the burn pot.

The igniter is held inside the bracket by slightly twisting two metal strips (bracket posts) over holes in the bracket. Carefully untwist these metal strips to release the igniter from the bracket. Use gentle pressure.

Removing the Wires

Remove the mechanical section hood using screws on the bottom of the hood. The screws do not need to be fully removed to slide the cover hood (cover) off.

This is a good time to remove sawdust that accumulates below the pellet feed door by the auger, on the same face as the burn chamber door. It is also a good time to check the condition of various other wires, inspecting the insulation for potential damage.

The igniter wires have ample slack inside the hood to feed them through from the mechanical section to the burn pot, where they can be disconnected from the igniter. You may have to remove a plastic wire harness cinching the wires to get the slack.

Feed the two wires (blue and yellow? can't remember the colors) through the passage to the burn pot, gently pulling in on the burt pot side, until the connectors on the two wires are visible. The connectors are disengaged by gently rocking the connection back and forth while pulling. A pair of pliers may help with your grip.

Once the wires are disconnected, you can replace the igniter.

Reconnecting the Igniter

Connect the control wires to the new igniter. It doesn't matter which of the igniter wires is connected to which control wire.

Place the igniter in the bracket, with the control wires facing the burn chamber door. Gently and only slightly twist the tops of the metal strips (bracket posts) over the holes in the bracket to secure the igniter in the bracket cage.

Reattach the igniter bracket to the burn pot using the screws with the igniter facing downward in the burn pot.

Feed the excess wire back through the passageway to the mechanical section on the outside of furnace.

Finishing Up

Collect the slack in the control wires and clasp with a wire harness if available. Otherwise, use electrical tape.

Make sure the auger, fan and pellet feed door work freely. [you may want to power up the machine on Test to make sure they do] Replace the mechanical section hood.

Replace the burn pot plate.

Power up the machine and enjoy a faster and more reliable start with your new igniter!

Have had my PF100 for at least 6 years. I have noticed that the fire has been taking a long time to light up. It sometimes fails to light and I do a power off reset and a burnpot scraping. Is it likely that my ignitor isn't performing well due to its age?

Status
Not open for further replies.