A list of what is needed for a gasification install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fototek1

Jul 10, 2008
New Hampshire
I have been looking at installing a gasification system and figured it may be helpful to others if there was a list of needed and optional components to an install.

Needed
1. The wood boiler
2. Termovar valve
3. Duh! wood
4. fittings and pipe to connect to existing system
5. correct chimney for application

Optional
1. storage tank
a.pressurized
1. what is the advantage?
b. non-pressurized
1. What is the advantage?
2. 2 heater coils around 180' each of 3/4" copper
2. domestic water coil
3. Circulator pumps to move water
4. leak detector for tank
5. What kind of controls are needed?
6. aquastat
7. thermometer

I fogot the most important thing. MONEY to buy the whole system. I was sure I was going to install a Tarm but now I am having second thoughts.

Solo40 $7850
Termovar valve $ 190
3 180' heat coils $3450
new metal chimney $3200
storage tank $2800
circulators $ 300
Misc pipe and parts $1000

Total of almost $19,000

Then you still need to buy wood. I was okay at $10,000 but knowing I have to do all of the work myself and it will still cost me $19,000.

very valid questions, Fototek- depends on a lot of things, such as (1) how long you want to stay where you are (2) your ability to cut or buy wood at modest/stable costs compared to other options, all of which appear to be going up; (3) the extent to which this might or might not be "value added" to your home. Also, if you are willing to get out on the "DIY fringe," you could perhaps build a tank for less, and skip the coils with a flat plate exchanger, and/or other ways to minimize some of your list

If cost is an obstace, then just put the tarm in now and in a season or two add some storage. My whole storage project is coming in around $1200-1500. I am using a flat plate instead of coils. The flat plate was only $200 compared to your $3450.

Also, do you have an existing flue? If it is occupied by another boiler, could you power vent that one and use it's flue? Gasifiers are worth the expense. Get it in and working with you existing system and research storage options for later.

My current system is an oil fired forced hot air unit with a/c and 3 zones and a 50 gallon oil fired hot water heater venting through the same metalbestos stack. The house is 8 years old. I think it may get tricky trying to use a tarm with my zone controls and a power vent for the existing furnace and water heater.

I was sure a few days ago I was going to buy the Tarm solo40.

I think it's tough to put together anything that could be considered a cmprehensive shopping list. There' stoo many variations.

I'd suggest pressurized storage if possible. That eliminates heat exchangers for heating the tank and heating loads from the tank. You still might need a HX if you add solar panels or if you want to preheat or directly heat your DHW, but as mentioned above, flat plate HX are much less expensive than the copper coils you're considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.