A little easier work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T Man

Oct 23, 2014
North Central PA
My parents had a tree service company do some work on their property and was able to get them to leave the larger portions (3" & up). Ash, a little chestnut and some pine for the shoulder season. I started working on the ash this afternoon. This is much easier work for me as I'm usually waste high in weeds/briars cutting storm blow downs at our place and carrying rounds out to the field where I can pick them up. Not sure if the larger section of the ash is worth trying to sell for lumber or just cut it up for the stove. 1414090603742.jpg 1414090612578.jpg 1414090626064.jpg 1414095884640.jpg 1414095899727.jpg

Last edited:
Unless you have a mill yourself it'll probably be difficult to sell the logs for lumber. The mills don't like residential trees because they usually contain nails and other stuff that damaged their blades.

I had a nice section of cherry this year, mildly looked into selling it because it was a single log. Gave up the idea. Found a big punky section near the bottom, plus a 6" eyelet bolt completely buried inside the tree. However, I got immense satisfaction from bucking it into perfect 16" sections and it split and stacked like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.