A little hackberry, ash, and other stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I came home early from work Friday with plans to do nothing. At that point it had rained five days straight with no end in sight. Well, I look in the backyard and see that my favorite hackberry had given up and broken off in the middle and taken out a healthy green ash (;sick). My buddy from down the road came up with his son and we put it down. The center was rotten, which is where is broke off, and full of carpenter ants. We also took down the broken ash and another dead ash. I finished cutting and splitting it over the weekend. Last night I brought two loads up from down the road and now it's time to stack.

The first pic is the aftermath. The second two pics are the pile, on the right side is the hackberry and ash. The other pile is the stuff from down the road.

Attachments

• 2013-07-05 10.32.20.jpg
    2013-07-05 10.32.20.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 2013-07-09 07.14.43.jpg
    2013-07-09 07.14.43.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 2013-07-09 07.14.33.jpg
    2013-07-09 07.14.33.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Its ashame to lose trees that you liked, but on the other hand they can warm you up in a couple of years.:)
I like the hackberry very similar to cherry when burning it.

Reactions: fireview2788
Hate losing a yard guard but at least you can re-stock the shoulder wood pile.

What I like so much about it was the fact that it arched about 20 feet to the side and then went up. Created a tunnel effect.

fv

Will be put to good use & won't go to waste .

Good days work !

I've burned lots of ash but never that other stuff. Let us know how it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.