A little help with a Tree ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avalondouglas

Jan 26, 2013
New Jersey
I am new to cutting wood and new to identifying trees...especially without any leaf verification. I saw a tree on the side of the road after Hurricane Sandy (in NJ) last October and am not sure what it is (see pics). It's difficult to split and stringy. I would love some help, as I am clueless. Thanks in advance! I apologize for any redundancy in my posts as I'm newer to using this site as well and trying to understand it better!
IMG_9527-2.jpg IMG_8021-4.jpg

Black Walnut. Split a few it should smell like an old grandmother's house.... Pleasantly musty.;)

The bark looks a bit more like gum(kind of thick though) I've never got any large black gum but either sweet/black are stringy as heck when splitting.
The aged face of the rounds might be throwing some people off possibly post some split pics when you get around to it

Reactions: ScotO
Bark is thick like chestnut oak , but i dont think its that. Looks more like Sweet gum bark. wood from hell. Hav'nt had any that big thou

I'm going to say black gum, too.......just like the tree I'm climbing on over in my avatar!
Notice the round in the upper right of the second picture. Looks like someone's already introduced an axe to it several times.......that'd be black gum!!

Thanks for the input. I will post some pics of it split tomorrow. Much appreciated.
hope you have some good hydraulics and a lot of patience!;)

Gum. It is for certain neither Black Walnut nor an Oak of any kind!

Gum. It is for certain neither Black Walnut nor an Oak of any kind!
Do you have any experience to back up that statement?

Just kidding, I can read your Sig, and value your input. Where was your mill at?

Do you have any experience to back up that statement?

Just kidding, I can read your Sig, and value your input. Where was your mill at?
Cadillac

I think it is Black Gum. I am not sure exactly what makes me think Black Gum aside from the thick bark.

See the zig-zag pattern on the right split - typical of both gum species. Elm will split like that as well(usually stringier), but you have black gum.
You might have better luck splitting the sides off - sometimes it'll pop apart on a growth ring easy...sometimes:oops:
Someday when you have hydraulics you'll just shear through the stuff

See the zig-zag pattern on the right split - typical of both gum species. Elm will split like that as well(usually stringier), but you have black gum.
You might have better luck splitting the sides off - sometimes it'll pop apart on a growth ring easy...sometimes:oops:
Someday when you have hydraulics you'll just shear through the stuff
Thanks so much for the input...though not the desired tree id. ;) Looking forward to more rounds in the future...with a better eye to pick them!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.