A little help with price??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here Guys and Gals I am new here to the forum,

I am in the southeast U.S. and recieved a quote from a company about installing a regency i2400 wood insert with 5.5 insulated Olympia flue liner and cap plus cleaning the chimney for around 4900 dollars. Does this price sound about right or is it a little high?? Thanks for any help

It doesn't sound out of line. Also find out if that includes a blockoff plate to be installed above the stove. Don't let them wiggle out of that unless you are willing to do it yourself.

Do you have a breakdown of the bill? It sounds a bit high to me, but I don't want to second guess the issues the installer is up against. Are there some difficulties they will be encountering?

Do you have a breakdown of the bill? It sounds a bit high to me, but I don't want to second guess the issues the installer is up against. Are there some difficulties they will be encountering?
They will not give a break down of the bill against company policy. He told me that that they may have to use an offset adapter. The flue is 7X11 tile he said an Olympia 5.5 double wall pipe will fit down with no problem.

Have you asked for just the stove price? I'm guessing the insert is going to be around $2000. The liner material costs will be less than $1000. Cleaning say $150. That leaves $1750 for the installation labor. Seems high for about 4hrs work if there are no complication, but we are now in peak season pricing.

Check www.ncsg.org and www.csia.org for sweeps in your area. They often can do installs too. Go to those sites and type in your zip code to search.

CSIA:
Philip Jantz

155 Evergreen Rd
Cheraw, SC 29520 | map | directions
phone.gif
(704) 690-3357 | fax: (843) 623-3430

NCSG:
The Smoking Chimney
155 Evergreen Rd
Cheraw, SC 29520 | map | directions
phone.gif
(704) 690-3357 | fax: (843) 623-3430

servicesales.com is in SC, they might know of some good installers and they have good prices on stoves.

sheesh, not even a rough estimate ?
I'd be going somewhere else too

i'd pick a stove that fit w/o that offset adapter.
those things suck! reduce draft, hard to clean, etc.

if they looked carefully at your place already they should know if they need one or not..

Here's the NFI finder: http://nficertified.org/pages_consumers/consumers-1.cfm

Mountain Man, what are the complete fireplace dimensions and how large an area are you heating? In SC, what are the coolest average winter temps you will see? Maybe we can present some more cost effective options for you.

Dimensions are as followed 25 inches deep at top 28 inches deep at bottom 40 inches across and 26 inches tall. The house is 1700 square feet. We have winters with the coldest temp being 15 outside at night, but most nights the temps are 25-34 during winter. Highs range from 28-55.

Why are they using 5.5 double wallwd pipe? Wont a plain old 6in flex liner with insulation wrap fit down a 7x11 ?

They will not give a break down of the bill against company policy. . .
Absolutely ridiculous.:mad:
No breakdown, no business. . .
+1
An itemized estimate does not guarantee that they won't gouge, but this is like saying,"Just give me $5k, and don't worry your pretty lil' head about the details. . ."

Have you considered DIY?

Reactions: PapaDave
They will not give a break down of the bill against company policy.
This statement made me laugh out loud. "Against company policy"? Are you dealing with the world's first fortune-500 stove installer, or the typical mom-and-pop stove shop? In almost all cases, the guy behind the counter is the one setting "company policy". Ask him to see their SOP's, in which this company policy is documented.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Why are they using 5.5 double wallwd pipe? Wont a plain old 6in flex liner with insulation wrap fit down a 7x11 ?

No. Been there. Tried that.

Was this "quote" given after an on-site inspection so that they know what they will be dealing with? I had rough quotes from companies when I was shopping, but they were not firm. Only after they were out and inspected the job were they able to give me a firm quote. And that was itemized. I would fully expect an itemized quote at that time.

i'd pick a stove that fit w/o that offset adapter.
those things suck! reduce draft, hard to clean, etc.

if they looked carefully at your place already they should know if they need one or not..

This is good advice. I have an offset adapter and I am pretty sure it is the bane of my draft. I am seriously considering raising the lintel in my fireplace to eliminate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.