a little help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkommer

Jan 2, 2008
Kentucky
I am wanting to install a stove in my basement to help with heating cost of my electric heat pump. I have about 4000 sq. ft. that I heat with two heat pumps that cost me roughly $300 a month. My basement is 1600 sq ft. I am currently looking at a used Fisher's mama bear stove in good condition for around $500. Do you think this is adequate to heat my basement and help with my electric bill? Is there a better stove for around the same money? thanks for your help I am glad I found this site

I don't think that stove is an EPA approved stove: and you won't get good wood performance from it. You will get a lot of heat, but you will use a lot of wood and emit a lot of gasses.
You might consider increasing your budget and getting a good approved stove with secondary burn capabilities. If you plan on heating more than the basement you'll need a big stove with a large firebox and high BTU output. Plus there will be the question of how to move that hot air up from the basement.
Finally, what chimney do you plan to install it to? You'll need one with a good liner or a stand alone Stainless Steel double/triple wall. The chimney is as important to making that stove perform and not burning the house down as the heat is to you.

That Fisher stove will be HUNGRY!!! My parents had one when I was a kid, and my father says he remembers having to feed it constantly.

You'll use a lot less wood by going with a newer EPA stove. I bought a brand new Englander 30-NC from a guy that listed it on Craigslist for just a little more than the fisher you're looking at.

The deals are out there on the newer stoves.

-SF

thanks for the replies. looks like I might need to invest a little more money for better efficiency. I have just started to look and research wood stoves so I appreciate the help. What are a few quality stoves on the market? Are certain brands better than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.