A little math.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Don't know why, but just started thinking about the number of splits that I load in the stove during a winter. Here's my estimate. I typically load 9-10 splits or rounds in the stove during cold months (Dec, Jan, Feb.) at typically 3 loads per day. So, to be conservative let's say 27 pieces/day X 90 days = 2430. IN November and March, I can often get away with two loads per day, sometime less, sometime more - so I'll go with 18 pieces X 60 days = 1080. October and April, often one load per day, sometimes more, so I'll stick with 9 pieces X 60 days = 540. This adds to 4050 pieces for the season. Of course, sometime I don't need to burn in October or April, but, some frigid days have me loading four times instead of three, so I bet this is reasonably close. Sounds like a lot of pieces of wood! Funny how it just doesn't seem like so much as you get into the burning routine. Cheers!

This dealer in your area lists estimates for number of splits in a cord etc..

http://www.eagerbeaverfirewood.com/#/cost-and-delivery

Assuming those values are correct, you're burning close to 6 cords a year. Sound about right? Of course, split size isn't factored here and I have no experience with said retailer.

235 "logs" for 1/3 cord.
I usually figure about 300...average, per 1/3 cord.
Depends on the split size, of course.
NH_Wood, I haven't done that in a while, but I do sort of keep track of monthly use.

Hmmmm......I guess I'm quite off - probably overestimating the shoulder season wood. I burn right around 5 cord/year. Just goofing around, thinking about how many pieces I load on a given year. Cheers!

During average part of the season, I burn about 24 splits per day so about the same as you.....less when it isn't to cold, and more when it is;)

Reactions: PapaDave
Something I've never done. Maybe I'll see if I can keep track just out of curiosity. But then, maybe I'll forget...

Status
Not open for further replies.