A little moisture experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
Made a simple little moisture test. Took moisture reading on several splits in November and marked them on the ends. Set some outside and some inside. The ones inside were kept near the stove, which has been going almost non-stop since that time. After 3 months I split them and took several moisture readings and averaged them. The outside splits lost an average of 7.8% while the inside ones lost an average of 18.7% of moisture.

Lesson learned - I think I will move all my wood stacks into the house next to the stove....looks like the furniture will be outside this year.

schlot said:
Lesson learned - I think I will move all my wood stacks into the house next to the stove....looks like the furniture will be outside this year.

Hey Schlot,
So I take it you are not married?

Yes I am, but are you saying my marital bliss might be endangered if I did that? LOL.

If you want the "wood stacks next to the stove" proly safer to put the stove outside ..... or just don't burn any wood unless it's been drying for at least a year (If I didn't say it, Dennis would have)

schlot said:
Yes I am, but are you saying my marital bliss might be endangered if I did that? LOL.

If your goal is to get her to move out, I think it's a great plan! Then again, what do I know. I've been trying to figure women out for many years with little to no success. :-S

Prolly the dogs been peeing on the wood out there!

Just be careful that wood does not have bugs in it.......that would be miserable to explain that to the 'boss'.....lol..

Scotty Overkill said:
Just be careful that wood does not have bugs in it.......that would be miserable to explain that to the 'boss'.....lol..

And unfortunately wood will have bugs in it, and some of them are not real nice to have crawling around the house. Someone here recently found a bunch of brown recluse spiders in wood they brought indoors and warmed up. Spiders especially find wood stacks a favorite place to overwinter in.

I can picture it all now. To relax, go out to the barn to watch TV. To sleep, climb up in the haymow. The wood is all stacked in the house...

Status
Not open for further replies.