A little muddy scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinngetreu

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2013
North Iowa
I saw this nice little load at the local tree dump just waiting for me. Not huge, but not bad for a quick scrounge after work.

I'm trying to figure out what the wood with the dark heart wood is. Its on the far right. The other two are Pine and Mulberry.

03-19-14 scrounge 002.jpg

Good job. Throw some pics up of that mystery wood, I love ID threads :)

Good job. Throw some pics up of that mystery wood, I love ID threads :)

You got it, I'll get a better pic up when I get a chance.

Tell that story about the woodchips in the water glass on the other wood ID thread. The tip one.
I think that chocolate brown can only be walnut. Its such exclusive color.

You want me to tell the story here about the wood chips?
I was having a hard time telling the difference between Osage Orange and Mulberry (they look very much alike) and one fellow said to put some wood chips in a glass of water and see if the water changed color. If it was Osage, then it would change, otherwise it will stay the same. I did that with about a half a dozen chips that I painstakingly got with a knife and put them in a glass of water (frankly, I was skeptical since I had a hard time getting chips with a knife). The next day the glass looked really yellow, two days later the water was brown.
Today, the heartwood looks really rich reddish brown color.

I would tend to agree with you about the chocolate brown color, but the bark has me stumped (bad joke, but still....).

PINE!!!! Don't do it if you burn that stuff your hair will fall out, your lawn will die, and your neighbors will stop by and drink all you beer.:)

I'm trying to figure out what the wood with the dark heart wood is
The most common wood I see like that is tulip poplar (yellow poplar). Always has that super dark "dowel" down the middle. Not sayin that's what you got, but that is really common around here.

PINE!!!! Don't do it if you burn that stuff your hair will fall out, your lawn will die, and your neighbors will stop by and drink all you beer.:)
;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.