A little quick Sunday night trivia............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heaterman

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2007
Falmouth, Michigan
Otherwise known as "Why dry wood is sooooooooo important:.

Lot's of people I know are burning (maybe attempting to burn) wood that has a moisture content of 35%+. On top of that, nearly every OWB owner I have dealt with has the wood pile conveniently stacked next to it out in the snow. As the commander on Police Academy said, "This is a very bad thing".

When you hear someone say that the moisture content of the wood is 35%, that means that out of a 10 pound chunk of wood, 3.5 pounds of that weight is water. Last I knew, water doesn't burn so that means it has to be evaporated before the wood can be turned to carbon and actually burn.

So let's take a few facts of physics and ponder them for a moment.

Fact one: 1 btu will heat one pound of water, 1 degree F. We want the water to evaporate so that means we have to raise the temp of the water from whatever temp it is in the wood (remember it's outside stacked by the boiler) so let's assume 10*. It has to go to 212* to vaporize and escape as steam. That translates to needing 202 BTU's to get our 1 pound of water to steam temp or 707btu's for 35% of our 10 pound chunk.

That's a fair amount of heat that's wasted just getting the water trapped in the wood up to 212* but it doesn't sound like a terrible amount. Certainly nothing worth the extra effort to let the wood dry...............Right?

Fact Two: Raising the water temp that 202* is not the only thing that's involved. We have to force that frozen water to change phase not once but twice. Change phase? What the heck is a phase change? Here's a hint. It has nothing to do with a gender operation. :)

Simply put: You have to change the water first from a solid to a liquid and then from a liquid to a gas. This is a very big deal and is where all the wasted heat from green wood comes from.
Water can exist at 32* as a solid (ice) and 32* as a liquid (water). At 212* it can be a liquid or a vapor. What makes it change even though the actual temp is the same? It's called latent heat or heat added/subtracted from a substance that causes a change of state (solid to liquid or liquid to gas)........5th grade physics.

So now the question is how many btu's are consumed making this phase change happen? That my friends is where the real numbers start to add up. The ice to water part is not significant, only about 3/10's of a btu per pound. Liquid to vapor however is another thing entirely. To change 1 pound of water in it's liquid form to 1 pound of vapor or steam if you will, takes a staggering 970btu's. Now that 3.5 pounds of liquid in our 10# chunk of wood is costing us nearly 4,000 btu's just to change it to vapor so it can evaporate as steam and get out of the way of the fire.

That should be enough to get some wheels turning and let you figure out the rest.

Is your wood cut split and stacked for next fall??? It's much less waste to let the sun do it rather than your fire.

Good Post
I saved it to be digested latter.

I'll bet nofossil can add to it.
"To change 1 pound of water in it’s liquid form to 1 pound of vapor or steam if you will, takes a staggering 970btu’s. Now that 3.5 pounds of liquid in our 10# chunk of wood is costing us nearly 4,000 btu’s just to change it to vapor so it can evaporate as steam and get out of the way of the fire."
I'll bet that's why hydronic heat has for the most part replaced steam heat in residential systems.

Damn, you answered your own question! I knew the answer.

But I wouldn't disregard the phase change from ice to water, it's about 144 BTU/lb. It is significant enough that some large buildings are using ice as thermal storage in the summer.

Chris

Its wayyyyyy too early in the morning for this kind of discussion but let me see if my 30 year old thermodynamics course can register anything:

10# chunk of wood containing 3.5# of water. To change the temperature of a chunk of frozen wood (we'll say it is at 32 deg F) to 212 deg F to remove all the moisture, we have to go through the latent heat of fusion, raise the temperature to 212F, then latent heat of vaporization X # lbs water.

Heat of Fusion- 144 BTU/LB X 3.5# = 504 BTU's
temperature rise 212-32 = 180 (1 BTU/LB) X 3.5 = 630 BTU's
Heat of vaporization 972 BTU/LB X 3.5 = 3402 BTU's
For a total of 4536 BTU's wasted.

Let's assume you have a stack temp of 500 deg F, That means the vapor absorbs energy also for efficiency loss. 500-212 = 288 BTU/LB X 3.5 LBS = 1008 BTU's

This means we have 4536 + 1008 BTU's = 5544 BTU's wasted.

Like a good accountant, we can really confuse the numbers. If we assume white oak (had to pick one) has a recoverable heat of 4484 BTU/LB X 6.5 LBS = 29146 BTU's.

At a 35% moisture content the water takes about 19% of that recoverable heat up the stack. However, since no one burns 0% moisture content, let's assume 20% moisture content. That means at best we still lose 3167 BTU/ 6.5 LB, a difference of 2377 BTU, which is a 10.8% loss up the stack.

Let's see how many pounds of wood that difference equates to: At 35% moisture content taking 19%-10.8%=8.2% of your BTU's from the wood. This means you would have to burn 8.2% more wood at 35% vs 20% just to evaporate the moisture in the wood. However, my best guess says that it could be considerably more considering the thermal efficiency of the boiler would suffer from considerable cresote build up.

I can't guarantee the accuracy of my numbers or assumptions (it's too early) but feel free to tear into them.

Mike

I already found one mistaken assumption that I had to edit.

Anyone want me to do their taxes?

Redox said:
Damn, you answered your own question! I knew the answer.

But I wouldn't disregard the phase change from ice to water, it's about 144 BTU/lb. It is significant enough that some large buildings are using ice as thermal storage in the summer.

Chris

You are right on the solid to liquid conversion. The chart I was looking at was listed in calories and I muffed the conversion to btu's. It is 144 btu's / lb.

All this math is not intended to provide todays mental exercise, just wanted to let people know how detrimental unseasoned wood really is to the efficiency of whatever rig they are running.

Those damned (kilo)calories will get 'ya every time! Throw in a few joules and then you have trouble. I'm not sure the British are even using British thermal units anymore!

Mebbe we can sum it up with the equation: Wet wood= bad? I know the difference; I even skipped burning some oak this spring in favor of the heat pump. I'm pretty sure it'll be great next January...

HVAC guys think in tons anyway!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.