A little scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Talked to land owner and there are some white oak logs that have been laying there for many, many years. I asked if he would mind if I get some of those and see if they'd burn. He said get all I can. So wife and I looked it over today and brought back just a small load. Found more than I thought was there but will have to take chainsaw plus sledge and wedges to split some before I can handle them. A couple logs are about 8' long and maybe 12" diameter. Should all be good but we did find one or maybe 2 small ones that are too punky.

This load we got today is actually the worst of the bunch but except for a little softness on the outer edges, it is solid! Should be some nice burning in this stuff.

Scroung-1.JPG Scrounge-2.JPG

Scrounge-3.JPG

Nice score and let me be the first to ask...when will it be ready?

Like a broken record but I split some dead standing oak today. No bark, nice plink plink when you bang them together and you guessed it 35% on the MM. Dang oak! ;lol

Nice score Sav, looks like someone ask the question before I could, two years?
zap

Reactions: ScotO
As for when it will be ready, of course nobody will know until I get those things split. That probably won't happen until next spring.

Zap, it could be 2 years but we'll wait and see. I don't need it before then for sure but if it is ready, I'll burn it in 2 years for sure.

Looked like a good day to be outside in the woods .

Scoring some fire wood was just icing on the cake. ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice score Dennis. Keep it up and before you know it you will be ahead for more than a few years. Oh wait... ;em Decades?

Talked to land owner and there are some white oak logs that have been laying there for many, many years. I asked if he would mind if I get some of those and see if they'd burn. He said get all I can. So wife and I looked it over today and brought back just a small load. Found more than I thought was there but will have to take chainsaw plus sledge and wedges to split some before I can handle them. A couple logs are about 8' long and maybe 12" diameter. Should all be good but we did find one or maybe 2 small ones that are too punky.

This load we got today is actually the worst of the bunch but except for a little softness on the outer edges, it is solid! Should be some nice burning in this stuff.
I remember my first scrounge post, some member replied that if zaps scrounging we're in for a BAD winter, ok guys Sav is scrounging so we should get buried with snow!

I remember my first scrounge post, some member replied that if zaps scrounging we're in for a BAD winter, ok guys Sav is scrounging so we should get buried with snow!

Noooooooo! Don't say that ZAP! At least not until I have had a chance to get in the woods and install the last two culverts on the family's property and then cut some wood. I got two of them in already and am having fun with the tractor. I will have the other two in this week! Yea!!!! If we do not get to much snow before the New Year I should have a good amount of wood cutting done. The tractor will go through a lot of snow but it is to much of a P.I.A. when the snow starts getting deep. ::P

Nice score Dennis.

Cut down a red oak stump (~15ft high, 2ft wide) this summer. It was too heavy for me to roll and complete the cuts so I just left it there since I had ample other wood that needed tending to. Brother in law helped me roll it on Thanksgiving so I got it cut up. About 2 inches or so of the exterior was punky as heck, but the rest of it was really good wood...a few insect tunnels, but otherwise fine. Got it all split up today, just need to lug it down the hill and stack it. I didn't have high hopes for it, but will definitely give punky stumps and trees a second look in the future.

What's that ATV trailer your using to haul??? Does it have a dump feature? How do you Like it?I'm looking for something to hook to my BX. :rolleyes:

What make is that trailer you have?

Good on you Sav, for saving that great firewood! As we all know, the sapwood on oak usually goes.to punk pretty fast. But that heartwood is where the BTU's reside, and I'm sure that stuff is fine. Well, in two years it will be fine! ;)

The trailer is a Yutrax Trail Warrior x2 atv. It is mostly good but could be improved. I put a wood floor in it as the mesh is not that strong and we started beating it up right away. I don't particularly like the tongue (seems weak but holding) but do like the length of it. Makes backing up really easy and I back this thing up a lot. I like to back it right along side of the tree we are cutting. This also is a plug for the electronic power steering on the atv. I wondered why anyone would want such a thing when I first saw it but for backing up it is really sweet. I tend to sit sideways on the seat when backing up (because of only one eye and a bad neck) so I back up one-handed.

The trailer does have tilt and that really came in handy when we cut some big pin oak. With the cant hook we rolled those big ones right in. But then it is low enough too so that you can put a small round on the ground at the rear of the trailer and roll some big rounds up onto the trailer if needed.

One thing I noticed right way was that if you stack wood in the rear of the trailer like you do in the front, you need something to keep the sides from spreading. I simply put a cheap ratchet strap on the rear to keep it tight. I was considering putting a cable across it though and still may.

I really like the large wide tires because now I don't tear up the trails in the wet spots. Along with hauling wood, one way this comes in handy is for moving our troy bilt tiller. We have 2 gardens plus some food plots for the animals and rather than walking that thing from one spot to the other I just tilt the bed and run the tiller right up in there.

All in all, I am not sorry for buying it. We've had it a couple years and it has seen a lot of use. Still does fine.

On the other hand, I recently learned that even though this thing is not very high, it is best not to fall out of it. I was in the trailer and lost my balance. Went straight backwards over the side and landed right on my back. It was not pretty... Still hurt from that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.