A little update on how the Ideal Steel is working.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
So last night I ran the IS hot for an hour or so before setting it for an overnight burn. I loaded an oak wood block that I split in half, and filled the rest with cherry.

I took the air control down to the 3rd notch which is just about closed. I went outside and verified there was no smoke. The temps at the hot spots settled in around 450 f an hour later. So I went to bed.

This morning I woke up not quite as warm as I prefer but the heat didn't kick on. I had the thermostat upstairs set at 69 f. It was in the mid 20's overnight. I have a 3 bedroom rancher with half of the house over the garage, new attic insulation, and insulated basement walls.

I went down and checked the stove. The firebox was black. I was seeing 275-300 f in the hot spots. So I opened the air. Sure enough as things lit up I saw that at least 75% of my fuel was still in there. Increasing the air raised the temps and I am back to a hot burn with plenty of burn time left. This was after a 9 hour burn.

Although I personally prefer a little more heat, this was doing the job of heating the house. I usually burn at #5 (air setting) and wake up to 72-75 degree temps with maybe 40% fuel load still in there.

Attachments

• 20141116_074735.jpg
    20141116_074735.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: osagebow and PCRit
Sorry the picture needs rotated.

So in comparison to the previous Quad, how do you feel?

A little more air would help. I like to see 550-600 when my quad is settled in. I was having issues with large coals left over in the morning until I started opening the rear air roughly 1/8 open. Now I have a perfect coal bed for reloads. Not sure if that is an option or not.

Your pic was with the door open, how dirty was the glass?

13 hours into my burn. The glass is dirty but not filthy. I can still see through it. The air has been at the 5th mark for the last 3 hours while I was at church. I came home and checked temps. The hot spot in front of the cat is about 275 f and the stove top is 200-250 f.

I opened the air and it lit up again. Sure enough there is still almost half a load of wood in there. I raked the wood front and I will let it run at half air and see what the temps do in the next hour. It is 43 outside and 71 inside.

I can't say anything bad about Quadra Fire. It is a really fantastic stove. This stove easily out performs the 4300 any day though. However, it is much larger and has a catalyst.

Attachments

• 20141116_121325.jpg
    20141116_121325.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 20141116_121404.jpg
    20141116_121404.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Can anybody help me rotate these pictures?

My guess is that you are using an I-pad product. You need to take the picture with the on/off button on the right I believe.

Samsung galaxy S4

I just go in and edit mine. Flip it, save it. The preview should show you what it will look like.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like a setting of 4 might be a good compromise for tonight.

Wow......after 9 hours, you still have that much fuel in the firebox? Wow....... I have a small 1.9cu ft firebox, and a solid 4-5 hour burn is the norm, while maintaining about 400-425* on the stovetop.

Can anybody help me rotate these pictures?

Take photos with your phone horizontal (landscape).

Seems to be the thing for iPhone users to hold their phones vertically when taking pics of anything, my wife included, hence the assumption you are using an iPhone/iPad. It may look right when you upload it, but the forum software rotates it.

Take photos with your phone horizontal (landscape).

Seems to be the thing for iPhone users to hold their phones vertically when taking pics of anything, my wife included, hence the assumption you are using an iPhone/iPad. It may look right when you upload it, but the forum software rotates it.

Same with androids too, i just switched from apple.

Stove looks great, id love to have that much heat that long

OK folks so I got a good hour burn left after I moved the coals front and reloaded. I had plans at 1:30 so I had to reload. Otherwise, it may have held heat for another hour or two. So I'm going to call this one a successful 14 hour burn with cherry and one 12x4 oak block.

Reactions: Cory S
Status
Not open for further replies.