A load of oak from the tree service!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I just got caught up around here besides for a little clean up. I'm sitting at work and my phone rings, it's my tree guy calling about an oak he was taking down. "I have a trailer load waiting for you and the trunk will be down tomorrow." Of course I can't say no so I swing by and pick up what he had so far. Filled the trailer up pretty good, I made the half ton work pretty good tonight. ;) I won't be able to pick up the trunk wood until Saturday so it may get scrounged before then. One of the times I really wish I had a mill, 20'+ tall trunk straight as an arrow and about 36" DBH.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all this wood I've been getting I conservatively have 17 cords on hand right now not counting this load. I thinking about putting some calls out to my neighbors that burn to see if they want some of the next loads.

Oh yeah, I know how everyone likes pictures so here are a couple. It was dark so they're not the best but they'll have to do. :)

Attachments

• DSC_0524_10595 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0524_10595 (Large).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC_0523_10594 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0523_10594 (Large).JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 204
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all this wood I've been getting I conservatively have 17 cords on hand right now not counting this load.

Nice problem to have o_O Congratulations...I'd help you out, but NY to MI and back is probably not cost-effective.

great score rdust !

with so much on hand, and such a great connection with the tree service, maybe you can sell a couple of cords?

great score rdust !

with so much on hand, and such a great connection with the tree service, maybe you can sell a couple of cords?

The thought has crossed my mind but I think I'd rather help out people who need it rather than sell it. Way too much time involved for making a couple bucks. I may get the point where I have to sell it but I told my wife once/if I hit 20 cords I'll start thinking about it. She already "made" me give up other methods of obtaining wood until the burning season starts. She told me to pick one and I told her I'll wait for phone calls from the "tree guy". ;lol

Nice problem to have o_O Congratulations...I'd help you out, but NY to MI and back is probably not cost-effective.

I'm thinking you're right especially since fuel costs are up. ;)

Nice load
Burned out on fire wood? Good problem to have.
You are a "Scrounge Master"
Good luck

Let me know if you need any more wood rdust. I know where you can get some any time you need it. ;lol

excellent haul! Primo stuff, too! get all you can, that stuff is one of my faves. It will take a while to season, but it's well worth the wait.

Nice score. Maybe get another stove to feed? ::-)

I know, I'm not helping any.

I'm actually working on that! My dad helps me a lot and I'm trying to get him to install an insert. So far he's not having it, he said he will not help to fuel my addiction. ;lol Sad thing is his house has a nice layout for wood heat. I'll keep working on him. :)

Reactions: fishingpol
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Congrats on the great connection, and kudos for trying to share the wealth.

Finished picking up the trunk wood this morning. Had to make two trips but got a lot of nice wood out of it. They did a pretty decent job with the lengths for a tree service. ;) I said earlier I wish I had a mill but this thing has some nails so that probably wouldn't have worked out too well. ;lol

Here are some pictures from today, the trailer sides are 2' so that should give some perspective on the size of the rounds.

Attachments

• P8180124.JPG
    P8180124.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 0818121217.jpg
    0818121217.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 0818121217a.jpg
    0818121217a.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 0818121437.jpg
    0818121437.jpg