A lot of ash(Update: spent a couple hours splitting today)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Here is a picture of the wood I pulled for my neighbors, for reference the stacks of split wood are 24' long. This will add nicely to the 11-12 cords I have stacked up right now. I don't think I'll be bringing any more wood home for a while or my wife may kill me. :lol:

Attachments

• PC060012.jpg
    PC060012.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 969
  • PC060011.jpg
    PC060011.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 946
I think this is Elm? It was the odd ball mixed in with all the ash. The wood was also really wet.

Attachments

• Elm.jpg
    Elm.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 905
  • Elm1.jpg
    Elm1.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 886
great score loooks like elm to me as well

Yeah, it's hard to beat free wood from the neighbor. This is what was left over after my other neighbor took what's pictured below. The picture doesn't do the pile justice since it's over 400' from where I took the picture.

Attachments

• PC060011.jpg
    PC060011.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 916
rdust said:
Yeah, it's hard to beat free wood from the neighbor. This is what we left over after my other neighbor took what's pictured below. The picture doesn't do the pile justice since it's over 400' from where I took the picture.

I do alot of cutting the pic's are always smaller than what you have

Made some progress today cutting to length. Hopefully I'll be able to start splitting tomorrow.

Chunk pile anything less then 14"
PC120077.jpg

Cut to length, 5 rows 15' long about 40 inches high
PC120078.jpg

Still needing to be cut to length
PC120079.jpg

Nice score.

Zap

rdust said:
Chunk pile anything less then 14"

I won't stack any short stuff either. The chunk pile has been keeping us warm for over two months now.

SolarAndWood said:
I won't stack any short stuff either. The chunk pile has been keeping us warm for over two months now.

It may be stacked in some fashion eventually but probably not till spring. I'll probably go in a heap and be used for the fire pit, whatever is left will hit the stove next season.

zapny said:
Nice score.

Zap

Not bad at all, I figure it should be 3 cords or so when it's all said and done. I'll have a better idea after I get the rest of it shortened up.

My cousin called me when I was cutting and asked if I wanted to come up to his in laws 200 acre farm and cut some dead falls. I told him I had about 3 years worth of wood right now but I may be interested in the spring. He said he was fine with storing the wood for me until I need it so I guess we're going to plan on cutting some time after the new year. It's hard to turn an offer like that down and the wife even agreed! :)

Nice stash of wood you have there rdust...good move cutting when it's cooler too.

Good looking stash of wood. Now is a great time to get it split . Before it.s all covered in Snow.

Good work rdust, it looks good. Hey, that stack of anything short, I'd just split that and stack right with the longer stuff. Just don't stack it all together; mix it into the stack and all will be well.

I was able to get the rest of it cut to length today, I think I'm going to pay for it tomorrow. A lot of bending and lifting to re-cut everything. It doesn't look like any major snow at this point in the forecast, maybe I'll get a chance to split next weekend before we get any major snow.

This may be the year of ice rather than snow. I do hope that I am wrong on that though.

Backwoods Savage said:
This may be the year of ice rather than snow. I do hope that I am wrong on that though.

I sure hope you're wrong!

Did some splitting this weekend. Only had the cell phone handy so I just have a crappy cell phone picture. The one heap is stacked on 9 pallets(3x3), the small heap is the shorty pile. I'm giving the shorty pile to a buddy who burns wood, he's supposed to pick it up one day this week.

Attachments

• 1220091521a.jpg
    1220091521a.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 410
I was able to get outside for a couple hours and made a little progress on the pile. Today was a nice day to run the splitter. Light snow was falling with temps in the upper 20's, I didn't care much for the brisk NNW wind but I kept my back to it.

Here are a couple new pictures, I had to lay down 3 more pallets since it was getting top heavy.

Attachments

• P1010042.jpg
    P1010042.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 293
  • P1010043.jpg
    P1010043.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 280
Aren't you happy you found this new hobby rdust? It is a hobby that pays very well too!

Status
Not open for further replies.