A lucky scrounging year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gark

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Last spring my partner and I got 6 cords from a friend's white oak that he had to get removed. I brought home 3.5 cords of it. Now, a new home is replacing the removed residence NEXT DOOR. Several trees have been removed and I can't believe my lucky stars to nab about 3/4 cords of soft ash and 3/4 cords of silver maple. Unbelievable - right next door to us! After years of driving way too many miles for mediocre wood, this has just fallen into our lap. Yeah, we did purchase firewood twice to get 3 years ahead, but I'm in scrounger's heaven. We burn maybe 2.5 full cords a year and I keep finding myself lounging around the stacks thinking "oh yeah baby, bring on the winter!"

Attachments

• IMAG0062.jpg
    IMAG0062.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 378
  • IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 375
  • IMAG0065.jpg
    IMAG0065.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 378
  • IMAG0066.jpg
    IMAG0066.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 389
Soft ash? It is all hard. Yours looks like White Ash but it doesn't realy matter which type of ash you have, all types are good firewood.

very good. some days you are the bug and somedays you are the windshield. enjoy it while you can. Keep the excellent pics coming.

Nice find. White ash and soft maple.

Thanx for your replies. I was hoping the 12" Echo CS-306 on the maple rounds would cause the question "You processed all that wood with that itty Echo?", but folk on this site are too smart. I was trying to differentiate white ash (higher BTU) from green/black ash (lesser BTU - soft ash) but I mistook this ash for green/black. Did even better than I thought!

So Gark, what's wrong with cutting that wood with the little Echo? Just takes a little longer but does the job.

This brings up the old saw about folks getting too hung up on the equipment. What they want is firewood and not equipment. Well, to some anyway. Some just like to get big stuff and show off. But I've always tended to look at things like the guy who went to the hardware store for a 1/2" drill bit. Did he want the bit? Or did he want some 1/2" holes? I say he wanted the holes.

Dennis,

I'm disappointed with you. Isn't collecting the tools half the fun. The typical excuse for buying something new is that it would have cost a lot more if I hired someone. Don't blow it for us in here - some of the wives are listening. :)

Collecting tools to me is not fun. I just try to have what is needed and stop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.