A new and improved way to clean the glass on your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doocrew

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2008
Southern NH
I am sure I am not alone in my struggle to keep the glass on the doors of my stove clean. Tried a few different types of household glass cleaner, then glass cleaner made specifically for stoves purchased both at my dealer ($9.95) per bottle and then another brand at Lowe's ($5.00). While none of them cleaned the glass to my perfection, the stuff made for stoves did a better job. No matter which product I used, I still had to take a razor blade to scrape some areas as the cleaner just would not penetrate it. Glass cleaning was always a 10 minute project. So, the other day I watched my son take a pair of white sneakers that deserved to be in the trash can that were black from wear and tear and make them look brand new again using a Mr. Clean magic eraser. After seeing this with my own two eyes I started to wonder. Could this be my answer? It was. Give it a try to see for yourself. It works so well with so little effort that once you do this, you will never do it any other way. Once I finished cleaning the glass, the eraser was pitch black and I started thinking that my wife was going to kill me for ruining it. Not so much. Rinse it under water and the eraser was as white as it was when I took it out of the package. Give it a try! You can purchase the eraser at any grocery store. You won't be disappointed.

To me there's nothing easier than dipping a wet rag or paper towel in the ash pan and using the ashes to clean the glass. Takes 2 minutes top, and costs 0. The best thing to clean carbon is carbon.

just a short question?

Do you people clean the glass once a week only or every day???

All I use is a piece of paper towel moist with a little bit dish washer detergent.
Wipe everything off with a dry paper towel.
Never have to use anything else.

Thanks for the tip on the Magic Eraser. I will try tonight. I'm sure it will work. Another thing that works is the cleaner used to clean glass cooking tops on stoves. The magic sponge and cook top cleaner have one thing in common. They both use very fine abrasives, and I think that is the secret to polishing the glass and removing tough deposits.

I use a ceramic cooktop cleaner for my glass but never thought
about trying the eraser on it. Will keep that in mind when my
cleaner runs low. thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Pelletfan, I clean the glass every few days.

pelletfan said:
just a short question?

Do you people clean the glass once a week only or every day???

All I use is a piece of paper towel moist with a little bit dish washer detergent.
Wipe everything off with a dry paper towel.
Never have to use anything else.

I only clean the glass when I clean the stove, which is about every 3-4 days.

OK that explains it.
Call me nuts, but I do clean my pellet stove every day.
Wife says she would be very happy if I would extend my cleaning habits to other parts of the house too.
Never mind, I do like your idea in cleaning the glass.
Sometimes simple solutions work best.

pelletfan said:
OK that explains it.
Call me nuts, but I do clean my pellet stove every day.
Wife says she would be very happy if I would extend my cleaning habits to other parts of the house too.
Never mind, I do like your idea in cleaning the glass.
Sometimes simple solutions work best.

I have never used anything more than water, sponage and paper towel. Works everytime.

I use a damp to wet paper towel every couple of days. I have never had to scrape anything.

sydney1963 said:
I use a damp to wet paper towel every couple of days. I have never had to scrape anything.

What he said!!!

Hi Rap,

I'm a she. heehee

sydney1963 said:
Hi Rap,

I'm a she. heehee

I thought about that after I posted, sorry. Can't we just say he for everyone on here? It's kinda like our stoves are she's, our cars are she's, our boats are she's... Can we have one thing, please ;-)

rap69ri said:
sydney1963 said:
Hi Rap,

I'm a she. heehee

I thought about that after I posted, sorry. Can't we just say he for everyone on here? It's kinda like our stoves are she's, our cars are she's, our boats are she's... Can we have one thing, please ;-)

Sure, if that makes you feel better. Maybe the forum should make some female looking avatars that would distinguish us shes from hes. LOL

sydney1963 said:
rap69ri said:
sydney1963 said:
Hi Rap,

I'm a she. heehee

Sure, if that makes you feel better. Maybe the forum should make some female looking avatars that would distinguish us shes from hes. LOL

You could certainly put up your own avatar like I and many others have. And yes, I did pick my idle to be my avatar :)

rap69ri said:
sydney1963 said:
rap69ri said:
sydney1963 said:
Hi Rap,

I'm a she. heehee

You could certainly put up your own avatar like I and many others have. And yes, I did pick my idle to be my avatar :)

I've tried several times to use my own pics for an avatar and it won't let me. I can post pictures within the body of the text with no problem though. King of the Hill?

that is funny, I just used one of those today also..

Doocrew said:
I am sure I am not alone in my struggle to keep the glass on the doors of my stove clean. Tried a few different types of household glass cleaner, then glass cleaner made specifically for stoves purchased both at my dealer ($9.95) per bottle and then another brand at Lowe's ($5.00). While none of them cleaned the glass to my perfection, the stuff made for stoves did a better job. No matter which product I used, I still had to take a razor blade to scrape some areas as the cleaner just would not penetrate it. Glass cleaning was always a 10 minute project. So, the other day I watched my son take a pair of white sneakers that deserved to be in the trash can that were black from wear and tear and make them look brand new again using a Mr. Clean magic eraser. After seeing this with my own two eyes I started to wonder. Could this be my answer? It was. Give it a try to see for yourself. It works so well with so little effort that once you do this, you will never do it any other way. Once I finished cleaning the glass, the eraser was pitch black and I started thinking that my wife was going to kill me for ruining it. Not so much. Rinse it under water and the eraser was as white as it was when I took it out of the package. Give it a try! You can purchase the eraser at any grocery store. You won't be disappointed.

sydney1963 said:
rap69ri said:
sydney1963 said:
rap69ri said:
sydney1963 said:
Hi Rap,

I'm a she. heehee

I've tried several times to use my own pics for an avatar and it won't let me. I can post pictures within the body of the text with no problem though. King of the Hill?

It's Peter from Family Guy, kind of a moron and a drunk, but he makes me laugh like there's no tomorow. As for your avatar, do a google search for avatars and you'll find something you like better than Tigger.

sydney1963 said:
I used to be able to say that. Now that only applies to the inside of the glass. Seems if you put the bag down in front of the stove while you cut the top open and lift the hopper lid, the plastic bag is attracted to the fire and plasters itself against the front so the pellets can attempt to make a bag escape and join their friends. The only way to get the bag off the glass involves scraping with razor blades :)

It is about time someone other than me posted this about the magic eraser. I have been using this technique for over a year and it works. All you utilizing the ash and wet paper towel method need to give it a try!

My stove only gets shut down once a month
for a full cleaning so I dry wipe the glass daily.
Works great for me so far.

I tried the magic eraser last night, and it by far works better than anything that I've tried thus far - a perfectly clean and clear stove glass.

Works awesome!!! Took 5 minutes off my glass cleaning time... and saved me countless paper towels and I am sure door gaskets as I was resorting to some heavy duty stuff with lots of elbow grease to clean. Nice catch!!!! Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.