A new low...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
... In mileage that is. I changed the oil on my car this morning and when I looked at the maintenance journal I see the last time I did was last April!

That's only 5000 miles in a year. I've never put so few miles, not that I'm complaining ;)

Of course we do a lot more in the guzzler hauling the kids around but that's another story.

Reactions: ScotO
Wow Jeremy I am envious of that low mileage/year. Just under 500/day for me whem I am going back & forth to the patch per vehicle. The only guy I know that wants to trade fuel bills with me owns a fleet of bulldozers & other earth equipment. I am inclined to decline his offer.;) Seriously good on ya. I shake my head at how few people I see even in this day & age with these fuel prices actually car pooling. Petty sad when the crews in the crew cab trucks are the most efficient commuters on the highway.

My Ranger is similar, I put less than 5K a year on it. 1994 and only 56K miles. Our 2006 Prius has 32K, so about the same. Looks like we need to get out and about more.

This is my little RSX hatchback... All I use it for anymore is commuting, which is 30mi round trip. And I often telecommute on Fridays. I've been averaging 30-32mpg and filling up every 2 weeks or longer.

Our other car is a pilot and it gets 2-3x the miles at 17mpg. Thirsty but such a useful vehicle.

Sheez. I bought my Jetta with 80k on it in 2010. It now has 127k. That's just in that car. I have another car, a truck and 2 Jeeps... and for a while I had another truck too. My 98 Ram has 234k on it, bought it in 05 with 140k.

I burn enough diesel that I have a 275gal tank at home that the fuel company fills so I don't have to mess with fuel stations.

I usually change the oil every 25k in the diesels. Only thing I change "often" is in the race car and I'll do that after every couple races.

wifes 2010 Challenger just turned 5000 last month, she only drives it on sunny dry days

I guess my nine miles a week average is kinda wimpy. >> I have to keep driving the Suburban because anything else the gas would go bad before I used a tank full.

But after a 90 mile a day round trip commute for 20 years I will live with it.

When we (wife & me both on active duty in the Navy) lived in Virginia, she and I bought ourselves brand new cars in 1999. A Jeep Grand Cherokee for "me", and a cute Mercedes CLK-320 for "her". Within a year I retired and she was transferred to the Naval Academy in Annapolis. So all of a sudden I had no commute whatever, and hers jumped to about 120 miles/day until she retired in 2003. After our move to Oregon in 2007, we sold her car in 2010 with its pretty much expected 140,000 or so on it. I just got rid of my 14 y/o Jeep about 3 weeks ago with around 70,000 on it. Having a damn job takes a real toll on a person's car. ;lol Rick

Every new car I have bought for myself in 37 years, except for the Suburban, ended up being commandeered as "her car" within a year. And I ended up with hers. If she hadn't become disabled the same year I bought the Burb she probably would have taken it too. :confused:

Marsha was petite, and she was never completely comfortable in the Jaguar XJ6, the Camaro, the Blazer, whatever. In '98 I searched high & low for a nice little coupe for her, and there was the CLK-320 to be released in '99. It was perfect. She loved it, and only took my Jeep when weather (4WD) was an issue.

Here's my ride bought it new fall of 2001 just turned 310k gonna have to update my sig.
IMG_07110001.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Jeremy;

Isn't it nice? The car I drive for commute only gets about 5000 miles a year as well. It's nice eh? My wife is staying home with our 2 young ones for another couple of years so the family car only gets about 10000 miles a year.

I dread moving in a couple of years and having to possibly drive 50-100KMs one way!

Frozen: Tis the life of the oil patch eh? lol I don't want to hijack the thread but I see Suncor just cancelled their $11 Billion upgrade! THat's gotta hurt the economy slightly...I hope it's not too bad!

I hear ya on the mileage, Jeremy. I only put on around 4-6,000 miles a year on nowadays. Rewind 16 years ago, I put that much on in a MONTH......

I used to drive over 1500 miles a week just traveling back and forth to work. All because of a blonde-haired doll-baby I call my wife. I couldn't stand being away from here. We've been together ever since!!

Reactions: will711
Status
Not open for further replies.