a newb looking at a P38 or other options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lousyweather said:
I know its "been done for years", but dont cut a hole in the floor........GREAT chimney affect if theres ever a fire...a big no-no these days in the code world!

Im at a loss as well as to why the dealer doesnt review the whole line as well....for us, in the overall scheme of things, p38's dont sell anywhere near as well as other Harman units. People want the functionality of the other units. Also, agreed with mac above....put the stove where you spend most of your time....if you dont spend much time int he basement, its a waste!

I was wondering about the code part of it, not to mention the common sense that it's just a bad idea unless there was a firedamper built in. I'm sure i can accomplish the same effect with turning on the furnace blower occasionaly and not chop into

I do spend a fair amount of time in the basement, and warming the upstairs floor would be welcome too. The same money spent on insulation would be a far better investment I'm sure, but I want a stove. Oh, not married either, so I really only need to justify this to myself, and I can do that.

As for the salesperson's, I think when I asked about a particular model they just want to reinforce the direction they believe i was headed with minimal effort on their part.

And the questions continue,
Do the pellet stoves have the wood burning smell outside? Since the exhaust is minimal I'd guess that it's still there butmuch less than the conventional stove.

The electronics in general, have they proven to be reliable, I've seen posts on surge suppressors which makes me wonder. On the other hand instructions tell you to vacuum off the boards, this is a no/no if using a brush on the vacuum, static from the bristles.

very little smell, but some.......electronics are reliable.......just be thorough about cleaning!

I currently have a P-38 in my basement. Works very well with no problems. I replaced a Whitfield with the P-38 and there really is no comparison. I believe the total install for mine three years ago was $2800 which included an OAK (outside air kit). The installer had to do some major drilling through concrete and stone.

My basement is 900 sq feet and insulated. I normally run the stove on settings 2-2.5 during the winter and the basement is toasty warm. Even when 10 degrees below zero, the maximum I would run my stove would be three.

I would highly recommend an OAK, especially for the basement. I did not have one installed with the Whitfield and it never did burn properly.

I store my pellets in the basement with no problems. I would recommend that you place a wood pallet on the floor to stock to pellets on.

I got a quote for a stove and install, a touch under $4k for a p38 and $4250 for a p43. It was printed on some fancy paper though so I guess that's part of it.

Still shoping around for something that remotely resembels a deal.

To bad your not in Maine, I'll bet Summit could fix you up for a lot less. It sounds like the install and chimney parts are costing you 2K. Spend the extra for the P43, I think you'll like the added automation.

slow-al said:
I got a quote for a stove and install, a touch under $4k for a p38 and $4250 for a p43. It was printed on some fancy paper though so I guess that's part of it.

Still shoping around for something that remotely resembels a deal.

That kind of money for a bare bones pellet stove could buy you a state of the art high efficiency furnace that will add comfort and value to your home . The $4200 stove option adds nothing.
Look for something much more reasonable.

perhaps a lot of the cost is the utilization of your old chimney, and having to line it. Why not look to see what it would cost for a direct vent setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.