A newbie question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erik

Jan 10, 2006
Hi all,

I had my Waterford Trinity installed last night (Finally!!). I am quite surprised by it in operation. Last experience i had with a wood stove was about 15 years ago, when i grew up we had a huge old stove that would just roar. This stove is much much more tame, and i am sure that is how you get long burn times and nice even heat, however when the doors are shut and the damper is all the way open, im lucky to have hardly any flames, and when the damper is shut there are definitally no flames, just a little glow from the coals, one load did burn threw the night nicely and in the morning just a really nice hot bed of coals was left, tossed some logs on and they were going in no time at all, and i only lost 2deg celcius over night in the house.... which makes me think all things are fine, but it is strange to me that the fire burns soooo "softly".

Thanks Erik

Congratulations Erik. Sounds like it's going fine. The old stove probably leaked air in badly. Welcome to controlled burn.

Coool - or ah.... that is what i thought! i just know that they are always hammering it in that you dont want a smouldering fire, but i dont have any smoke production at all really, even out the chimney there is nearly no smoke! that stove works amazing!!

Erik,, I have a Waterford Trinity also!!! Nice stoves and burns great. But you better check with your dealer for parts. I order a new baffle plate and front glass and a blower motor for mine and it takes 6 months or longer to get them. My stove was installed in 2003 so its a new stove. But since FPI phased out the stoves here in the states its will be hard to get parts 5 or 10 years down the road unless someone else starts selling the stoves. Hope that will help you out! Greg :cheese: It cost around $450 for all the parts and I have spare parts!!

Erik,

Sounds like all is well too me!

Welcome to the club.

How big of a help is the blower? i only have a 1000 sq ft house, and this thing is warm enough that with only one log and the damper closed its keeping the house around 24-26 deg c. but i wonder how much more it will need to put out when it is -20 at night.

Erik, we all tinker with our setups constantly. Its called trial and error.

Keep playing with it and enjoy the process. If its -20 at night, open the damper and insert 3 logs, that should get you somewhere. If that doesn't work, investigate the blower.

Smile and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.