A Nice Couple of Scrounges...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
I was just going to post the oak pics but since have gotten another load or two of wood from this guy. I'm really enjoying this, he calls and I pick up at curbside after I get off work. The only real work is loading up the truck.

This is my Load of Ash picked up tonight. My poor Ranger was squatted, but it was completely full.
cd84531d.jpg

The load of Ash from tonight and the Red Elm from the other day.
dc45908a.jpg

This is my truck load of Oak from the other day.
2f66a700.jpg

My stacks of wood for the upcoming season, just starting my fourth cord of wood. I'm estimating about 2 1/2 cord for next year.
304aa313.jpg

I think your Ash is maple. I can see the bark of a few pieces clearly enough to say they look like Sugar Maple, and the wood - light, thick sapwood with a dark center - also looks more like maple than Ash.

Wood Duck said:
I think your Ash is maple. I can see the bark of a few pieces clearly enough to say they look like Sugar Maple, and the wood - light, thick sapwood with a dark center - also looks more like maple than Ash.

Agreed ^^^^ .... There are only 3 or 4 rounds in your 2nd pic from the top that looks like Ash/ Bottom left 3 rounds (Thicker grained , diamond pattern bark). Rest is Maple (Bark and Heartwood tell the story).. Nice stash though. Sucks the stacks fell. Did they just "Lean" over? Or was high winds/Mother nature?

I agree but still good wood.

Oh, Ok, well I guess I'll add Maple to wood pile list. I know the one tree that was in the back yard was Ash, so I just figured it was all Ash. One day I'll get better at identifying this stuff. LOL :red:

The leaner was just that, in which it took out the other stacks too. It stinks, but I thought about restacking it, figured as long as it doesn't get any worse, I'll probably use all that up this winter anyways. After that I learned that stacking back to back with several spanners between stacks make it much more solid.

Great haul!!

Ray

[quote author="chvymn99" date="1307429297"]I was just going to post the oak pics but since have gotten another load or two of wood from this guy. I'm really enjoying this, he calls and I pick up at curbside after I get off work. The only real work is loading up the truck.

chvymn99 keep up the nice work, the more it squats the better the btu's.

GIBIR

PapaDave said:
Your neighbor has his own little "stairway to heaven" goin' on. :coolsmile:

Well, he best get in line and have a major heart to heart talk with God. Because the fence was erected because of him.

Well that explains it. He needed the ladder up so he can see what you're doing in your yard.

Nice stacks of firewood, better cut the grass before you get yelled at though.

Ash . . . maple . . . just call it "Mash" or "Asple" and you'll be safe. ;) :) Either way, it's a good wood . . . and for the record . . . I too think it is more likely maple.

mayhem said:
Well that explains it. He needed the ladder up so he can see what you're doing in your yard.

Nice stacks of firewood, better cut the grass before you get yelled at though.

Are saying he has "wood" envy? :lol:

It seem all seems to be great splittin' wood and fairly heavy. All straight grained wood. There was only one pick up that I got earlier this year and it was Box Elder. I know better than to get that stuff again. Spirally grained wood and it made my 34 ton Splitter think a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.