A pellet experiment with scientific instruments....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibumm100

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Please don't confuse this with a scientific experiment. I cleaned my stove up yesterday and while I had the surround off I installed my e-bay type K thermocouple probes. I installed one in the flue at the back of the stove just above the cleanout tee, one in the OAK pipe near the damper, one above the convection blower inlet under the hopper and one in the convection outlet grill of the stove.

My stove set-up:

St. Croix York insert installed in a Preway ZC fireplace with air cooled firebox and 8" ID/11" OD insulated flue. My 4" Excel ICC pellet vent runs 20' straight up inside the Preway flue, no elbows. It exits through the old rain cap and extends about 2 feet above it. I insulated 10' of the 4" pellet vent with 1" thick ceramic wool refractory insulation. My OAK pipe is 2" automotive flex running up to a 2" automotive exhaust pipe passing through the firebox block-off plate and welded in. It extends past the block-off plate about a foot. I pull my combustion air down the 8" flue through the annular area between the 4" pellet vent and the old fireplace flue.

I had purchased a ton of Vermonts that were bought early in the season from a craigslist ad but, for some reason, they didn't seem to be that hot. I bought ten bags the previous day from a dealer and they seemed super hot. Both were low ash. A few days ago I ran some Northerns(Cubex) and they just about ran me out of the house. Believe it or not, they produces less ash than the Vermonts, too.

Since I was home today I decided to run a few different pellets through the stove to compare the readings on the thermocouples. The way I ran the test was to run tests about an hour and a half long per pellet. The stove was just about out when I got up this morning so I added a few scoops of the Vermonts that I bought by the ton. Once everything was stable and the readings weren't changing much I took readings on each of the TC's, let it run some more, take some more readings, repeat, repeat. When I was ready to change pellets, I would scoop out the remaining pellets until the hopper was almost empty, add the next batch, wait a half hour and start taking readings. Let it burn some more, repeat, repeat. Scoop out remaining pellets, Add next batch, etc, etc. All of these pellets were burned on setting #4 of 5. Also, please note.....I did not adjust the damper to optimize combustion. I left it where it was to reduce one more variable. I can't see the damper plate but it's not open very much. The flames is lively, but too much so.

It's been about 8-1/2 hrs and I'm done for the day. Pretty warm outside so I had the windows open for the last four or five hours and it was still 77 degrees in here. The temperature under the name of the pellet is what the outside temperature was on the thermometer when I ran that batch.

The order of burn was:

Vermonts (the ton I bought)
Vermonts (from the ten bag trial I bought from stove shop)
Cubex (not Northerns, I'm out of those)
Black Hills (Okanagan, bought yesterday to give them another shot)
NEWP (came with stove, last years pellet, probably Jaffrey)
McFeeters (bought same day I bought the Vermonts at the stove shop)

Results (deg F):

Conv Fan In Stove Grill Out OAK Air Temp Flue Temp
Vermont (by the ton)
35 deg F
109 192 111 335

Vermonts (by the bag)
45 deg F
127 246 129 387

Cubex
47 deg F
129 220 121 365

Black Hills
47 deg F
119 221 124 362

NEWP (last years)
48 deg F
119 221 127 366

McFeeters
48 deg F
119 221 128 377

Take it for what it's worth. I did not optimize the damper setting for each pellet. There were obvious differences in the flame size and appearance between the two batches of Vermonts. I plan on taking some samples to work and doing a moisture analysis to see if the ton batch might have higher moisture. The part that sucks is that I have a over half a ton left. Too bad they aren't crankin like the individual bags I bought. They're still gonna be a great shoulder pellet because they're so clean and I only paid $230 for the ton. I wouldn't be very happy if I paid $280-300. If there's a take-away from this for me it's that you should always test burn from the same lot of pellets, if possible, before buying a ton. I was surprised how much heat the NEWP's put out. They are definitly dirtier and that would affect the ability of the stove to transfer the heat. The other surprise was that the Black Hill were about the same as Cubex and McFeeters. I wish I had some more Northerns. They were cranking and lower ash than the Vermonts. They were also better than the Cubex bagged Cubex pellets. I burned a few bags of the Cubex the other day and found clinkers in the pot.....similar to the complaints other people have experiences this year for the Cubex. The Norhterns I got must have been and exceptional batch.

Time for a beer......wait....that's what I've been doing between dumping pellets and taking readings....

The Northerns are burning great for me. Both in ash and heat and my stove seems to like them to. Glass stays really clean for weeks without cleaning.

Sorry about the formatting. It looked good when I composed it. To clarify....the first number is Convection Fan Inlet, the second number is Stove Grill Outlet, the third is OAK Temp and the last number is Flue Gas Temp

I burned mcfeeters back in November and though I liked the heat, the ash was very gritty and we for all kinds of clusters...not quite a fused clinker but close. Burning Northerns right now and the house is 77 , 37 degrees out now with the p61 on stove temp 3 I an unfinished basement....it's like 89 down there. Didn't burn any Okies black hills this year.

I shut the stove down for a little while and just restarted it. I dumped the ash pans and put the rest of the bag of McFeeters in the hopper. We'll see what it looks like in the morning.

I agree. There were similar results from several different pellets. Even the NEWPs put out OK and comparable to much more highly regarded pellets. I am glad I ran the test. I was sure the Vermonts were a kick butt pellet. The bags I bought to test were. I have been burning the Vermonts from my ton purchase and have been disappointed by low heat output from the stove. It turns out it's not completely a "stove" problem. Once (if) it gets cold again, I'll try some different pellets to see how warm the house is in the morning. I may even burn NEWP's instead of Vermonts. How's that for solution?! Totally unexpected for me.

I didn't run a whole bag so I can't determine a decent feed rate. All the pellets were of comparable size and length and I didn't change the feed rate for any pellet. #4 of 5. I also put enough in the hopper so it would feed reliably.

I didn't run a whole bag so I can't determine a decent feed rate. All the pellets were of comparable size and length and I didn't change the feed rate for any pellet. #4 of 5. I also put enough in the hopper so it would feed reliably.
It is difficult to get reliable results ...I have weighed pellets numerous times and usually get a little variance. I have found in my stove I can have about a .5 lb/hr feed rate difference between pellets...which is pretty significant. I have tested maybe 20-30 brands and almost all had similar heat outputs when theyvhad the same feed rate. The only pellet that was noticeably hotter for me was Vermont's when compares to others at the same rate.
The coldest pellet wasNEWP. However it fed at a .2 lb/hr rate slower than the average. Thermostats will equal all these out so long as you have enough top end on your stove. I always enjoy seeing people share their experience.

Yeah, hence the title and opening comment. I was satisfied with my results for my stove. There was a noticable difference in the way the two Vermonts burned. Iam pretty certain those two would feed the same. The noticable difference was the "feel" if the Cubex vs the other pellets. They felt slippery, Very low fines too. The McFeeters had almost no fines. The Black Hills smell very strong and "piney". They also feel somewhat sticky. They had a fair amount of fines but they stick to the bag.

It is difficult to get reliable results ...I have weighed pellets numerous times and usually get a little variance. I have found in my stove I can have about a .5 lb/hr feed rate difference between pellets...which is pretty significant. I have tested maybe 20-30 brands and almost all had similar heat outputs when theyvhad the same feed rate. The only pellet that was noticeably hotter for me was Vermont's when compares to others at the same rate.
The coldest pellet wasNEWP. However it fed at a .2 lb/hr rate slower than the average. Thermostats will equal all these out so long as you have enough top end on your stove. I always enjoy seeing people share their experience.

0.5 #/hr is 12#/day. That's quite a bit. Consumption seems pretty steady in my stove. Northern/Cubex feeds slightly faster since they tend to be a little shorter on average and my stove seems to like the shorter pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.