1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

A pellet, is a pellet, is a pellet.....

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by mopar man, Feb 20, 2013.

1. mopar man

mopar man New Member

Loc:
    Brockway, PA
    Or at least that's what my local retailers must think. The first pallet I bought this season I got from Tractor Supply the beginning of January. They were Green Gold and I payed about $220 for them. I went in search of another pallet after work today, and I found that they had switched brands to Wood Pellet Fuel. I remembered that the local Lowes started carrying pellets, so I headed over there. In the store they had 2 partial pallets of Cheat River pellets sitting there. I asked if they had them by the pallet and they said yes, we have 4 left. I went and payed for them and drove around to pick them up. I didn't pay close attention to the bags when they loaded it because I was strapping it down as the shrink rap wasn't the greatest job. When I got them home and started unloading them they were not Cheat River, but Timber Heat. I payed $204 this round. Did I get the short end of the stick, or is this a good brand to burn?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    http://www.woodpelletreviews.com/reviews/wood-pellets/timber-heat-pellets.html
  3. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    I tried some earlier in the season from Lowes....I liked them, a bit on the ashy side for me but I got good heat out of them. I wouldn't have a problem buying more though....
  4. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    My local TSC doesnt know what brand of pellets they actually have. The person I spoke with told me they carry 3 brands (i dont recall what) and that it was basically the luck of the draw as to what you got. The price was 215/ton for each. I said no thanks.
  5. gfreek

gfreek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful Attica/Varysburg,New York
    One of the TSC near me was carrying Cheat River last fall, then Wood Pellet Fuel, now have Cheat River again. Prefer the Cheats over the WPF...
  6. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I had this arguement with Tractor Srpply at the beginning of the year!! I can tell you what they said and that it makes sense, but why don't they just open a pallet and see what they are selling??
  7. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

please.....youre dealing with the Big Boxes here......'nuff said......
  8. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I Asked that question and was told that they will not do that (cut them open). At this point I realized he didn't want to deal with me, so I moved on.
  9. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Me too...But I needed some parts for my Brush hog and they were willing to open multiple parts and boxs of axles to try and find the correct match!! They will continue to get my business, just not my pellet business!
  10. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    You did fine :cool: I burned a few early in the season, if you go to the link in brokenwings post I reviewed them there and someplace here too.
    Brokenwing and jtakeman like this.
  11. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I liked the timber heats. Burned nice in my beast.
    Brokenwing and will711 like this.
  12. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

It's always best to try a few bags before you make a large purchase. You don't want 50 bags, of something that you, and your stove don't like.
  13. mopar man

mopar man New Member

Loc:
    Brockway, PA
    They did not seem to have a choice inside the store. The Cheats were what was sitting out, but evidently they had a couple brands outside. I may have gotten a pallet that was buried by the last shipment and they wanted to get rid of it. I put in 2 bags on top of what I had left in the hopper. I'll check on them later.

If my stove doesn't like them I'll sell them to my uncle. :)
    DexterDay likes this.
  14. kenstogie

kenstogie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    If I am going to buy a pallet I am going to see what's in there. I don't tear the thing apart but enought to see what's in there. :)
  15. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Our box stores known what the carry. Lowes has two, sometimes thee different brands. The don't mix them up because they want their precious jacked up price for the green teams. I hope to get a smart stove that isn't fussy and will adjust itself.
    That way you concern yourself with the amount of pellets you burn to achieve tha same heat.
    DexterDay likes this.
  16. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Uh oh, You drank the cool aide too? Add a stat to the stove and it will keep a consistent temp in the house so there is no worry on heat variance from what a pellet produces. I don't own a Hormone, But I have a feeling the smart stove stuff isn't and they vary in heat just like any other stove. None of them Harman folk have actually posted pictures(proof) that this actually acures! No proof, didn't happen!

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ash-turds.105839/#post-1378022
    will711 likes this.
  17. Thaddius Wenderoth

Thaddius Wenderoth Feeling the Heat

My Lowe's carries Lignetics and Press-to-logs. Both Lignetic brand and both good pellets in this area. I personally only want the Lignetics from them though mostly just because of the density. The Lignetics guarantee 42#'s a cubic foot and the Press-to-Logs are only guaranteed to be 40#'s a cubic foot. Same price too.

I did find it interesting that when I went in there this week to get a ton of Lignetics the gal assured me they were Lignetics and not Press-to-Logs. When they brought them around on the hyster they were press-to-logs and I said I wanted the Lignetics and not those and the hyster driver told me that they were out of the other ones. I left with no pellets.

Got a ton of Rocky Canyon Ultra Premiums today that are 100% Red Fir. I am excited to try them! I also bought 2 bags of their Premiums last night which are blended "Western Conifer". We will see tonight how those go! The Ultra Premiums I bought guarantee less than 0.1% ash. That is better than the 0.5% the Liggies guarantee.
  18. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Only two guarantees in life....death and taxes......;) They've been right about one so far because Uncle Sam has his hand in my wallet as we speak.....the other, eventually.......
  19. Thaddius Wenderoth

Lol true! I am not saying these are the numbers I will realize I am just saying that they should be better. I'll report back after I burn a few. Not that it matters! I feel I am all alone here! No one to talk pellets or dealers as most of you are from the east coast! Where are my west coast peeps?! :p
  20. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Just bustin' ya' balls a bit! ;) I don't think there are too many of you "west coasters" here on the forum. Where about are you located (just curious)?
    will711 likes this.
  21. Thaddius Wenderoth

Boise, Idaho area.
  22. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    ahhhh.....you guys got all that sweet softwood out that way! I wish more of it would make it over to the east coast here. I would LOVE to try some of those pellets out there.
  23. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    I read somewhere that Englander is making a smart stove. This whole area is getting better all the time. What I know is I want something better, but at this stage in my life, I really need to be selective in what I choose to meet our needs. When I buy something now, my outlook is to have it be realistic for meeting our needs, not for the next guy.
  24. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    ????
  25. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    I prefer Crystal Light :p