A prayer for my friends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
To all of our members on the east coast that are either dealing with or have dealt with the Hurricane, some heart felt prayer coming your way.

Hope all is well with all of you.

Hunker down and hang on tight folks.

Snowy

Yes it is a shame. Been watching the news all morn. My heart goes out to all that will be going back to homes that are destroyed or unlivable.

Hoping that the loss of life will be nonexistant or very minimal. You are all in our prayers.

Thanks for the kind words. Looks like the rain is finally out'a here, but the wind is still kicking up pretty good. Lost half of my purple- leaf- plum basement took on some H2O I got the pumps going @ 4:30 , still at it but slowed down, almost to the shop vac point. Not the 1st time this has happened so I know the drill nothing on the floor to get destroyed just a PIA. All in all it could have been much worse for me still got power. Once again thanks for your thoughts.

Hello Snowy

Thanks for your prayers

Here in Salem NH we have down power lines on Bridge St causing major Traffic Lights being out at Bridge St and Main St and Lights out at Geremonty Dr and Main St (also Rt 97) Hurricane is only just starting here!!!!

See pics

Attachments

• HIreneDownLinesBridgeStsc.jpg
    HIreneDownLinesBridgeStsc.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 423
  • HIreneTrafficLightsOutBridge&MainstSC.jpg
    HIreneTrafficLightsOutBridge&MainstSC.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 402
  • HurricanIreneWindTrack.jpg
    HurricanIreneWindTrack.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 413
  • News9StormTracker2.jpg
    News9StormTracker2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 417
  • TropicalStormIrenePath.jpg
    TropicalStormIrenePath.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 409
Eye of storm passed about 15 miles to the east of me an hour ago.

9.5" rain here in the past 24hrs, some wind (top gust recorded here w/ my weather station was 27 MPH).

Power never went out, lots of small branches down, rain stopped about 15 min ago and skies are lightening....all done, I think.

At 12:30 on Sunday Here on the Western end of Cape Cod. We are missing most of Irene.

I have a breezy/rainy day. Sustained wind at about 20kt Gusting to about 35kt.

Sun is peeking out occasionally.

In fact, I just came in from mowing the yard.

Few tree limbs down and the cable flashes in and out every once in a while.
Other than that it is a day like any other rain storm.

Perhaps it will get worse later but right now we are fine.

For those in the effected areas good luck and best wishes

---Nailer---

Hello Guys

We missed most of Irene here is Salem NH only 3 inches of rain. We did get a slight few pwr outages. Not near me.

The eye of the hurricane went more west than predicted, When I checked it went thru the western edge of MA and eastern edge of VT!!

Glad you folks made it through OK

Out here in NW Oregon where I live we can get 100MPH winds in the winter when the "extratropical cyclones" as the weather guys call them come calling.

The last really nasty one was in October of 05 and it dropped a few trees and made a bit of a mess.

Stove season is a coming folks

Snowy

We made it thru with no issues. The lake is up 28 inches & our rowboat sank,
but other than some small dead branches, we are ok.
Vermont & Western Massachusetts got hammered & they're not far away...
The Hudson River hasn't crested yet - that should come around 3PM at last report -
so there's gonna be more damage. Most over the bridges over the Hudson
are already closed. Waterford, parts of Troy, Watervliet, Cohoes and
Albany are being evacuated. Schenectady is gonna be a mess...
Stay tuned...

Pics here:

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Hudson-Mohawk-rising-fast-2145609.php

Strange, actually . . .

We've had worse winds in other 'regular' storms
We've had heavier rains in other 'regular' storms.
We've had more trees/limbs down in other 'regular' storms.

But the damn electric's been out for almost 24 hours now. :smirk:

Cooking outside on the grill. Collecting Irene water in ditches, etc for toilets. Using pre-event purchased water for drinking and cooking. The weather is about perfect.

But the BO is starting to build up . . . .

Don't judge Irene by my experiance though. I think most had/have it worse than I.

Rock on.
Jimbo

We got blasted pretty good in Eastern Virginia. I have about 6 trees down and had to cut several to get out the driveway. Power poles and lines down everywhere. We got 7 inches of rain and had gusts up @60mph. The worst part was it lasted over 24 hours. I have my 17kw generator running but boy does she slurp the propane. I don't expect to have power for a least a week. Well see....

If i burned wood i'd be in good shape. :)

We were very fortunate, but not for a moment would I say too much hype was made of this storm. Even with all the advance warnings and pleading for civil behavior, there was still a loss of life, and reckless activity that jeopardized others that had to go and try to rescue them. We were not in final path of the storm, but there was plenty of damage. Most of it here was a result of falling trees. One home near here is split in two by the weight of an aging tree. Several roads are obstructed and thousands are without power. To those giving warnings, thank you for thinking of me. To those who want to complain about advice. Never fear, some one will be available to you when you are in need. Go figure!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
But the BO is starting to build up . . . .

Don't judge Irene by my experiance though. I think most had/have it worse than I.

Rock on.
Jimbo

Lack of showers is usually what wears us thin after a week of power outage. If the weather is nice, rig up a sun shower. A friend rigged up a clean 2 gallon sprayer to a valve and shower head. It works pretty well. You'd be surprised how quickly a black tank of water will heat up. Unfortunately our outages are mostly in the winter so we take sponge baths with water heated on the propane stove or woodstove.

Made it through with no damage to the house or the garage (where my precious pellets are stored)
but there was much carnage around me. Next door a big pine snapped and fell on the guys
garage. Round the corner four huge oaks went down, two of them took out utility poles.
That whole neighborhood is still without power.
Black walnut in my front yard came close to uprooting as there is now a big hump of raised
earth on one side of it.
Power down for 33 hours here. Had my portable generator running and plugged in
the fridge, couple lights, coffee maker, phone and scanner charger. Needless to say was a lot
more comfy riding it out than my neighbors who were in darkness cept for one other who also
had a generator. Rained but nothing that required turning on the basement pump. Water
level wasn't even showing in the hole. Hope everyone came out of it ok.

Attachments

• pole_down.jpg
    pole_down.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 246
Finally got power back this morning. Lots of rain/wind, But minimal damage done. The heaviest winds were on the back side of the storm. No major trees downed in my area. Seems most of the damage was done by water. Even the still brooks are flowing very fast now.

I hope the others farther north are all OK!

We're on 48 hours off-grid. 20 minute trip to the office today, and only one tree on a powerline. Inexplicable how so many people can be out.

A couple Towns over made footage on TWV. I'd prefer being electric-less to being flooded.

Hang in there All.

I'm connected back to the world.

Power came back last night at 11PM just as I was finishing up swapping a new carb onto my standby-standby generator. My main 5kW genny died (think it is the B&S magnetron ignition). I was trying to rig up a lawnmower carb to my smaller 2700w genny wen all of a sudden I hear the sump pump kick on and the street lights started warming up.

All told we had it easy on the Cape.
Few tree limbs came down (a few on neighborhood houses) and almost no rain.

We did lose power for 36 hours.

Hope everyone else came through alright.
---Nailer---

48 hrs on the 5K generator for me. First time in 25 yrs. Ran it last week for the first time since Y2K. Remember that hype?? Quite a bit of localized damage here in the small towns in eastern MA. One look at the devastation in Vermont and I feel guilty about complaining about the power company......

Status
Not open for further replies.