A promise is a promise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Wifes cousin called the other day sayin he was havin a tree service dump 2 red elms in his yard. The smaller limbs he is going to buck for an elderly friend that burns wood but would I take the bigger stuff. Even though I can cut all the elm I will ever need just 10 minutes from home and the cousin lives about 40 minutes away I said sure, why not? Free is free. Just for the hell of it I drove down to take a looksee at these trees. First off, let me tell ya that around here elms most generally get so big and then die so I wasnt quite spectin to see what I seen. These guys are about 4' in diameter at the base. He asked me if I was gonna bring my splitter down to work them up right there. Hell no I say, I would be camped out in yer yard for a month of Sundays splittin and loadin. I'm bringin 2 dump trucks and the 863 Bobcat down and haul them home to work on them at my leisure. I enjoy C,S, and stackin but I aint gonna make work outta it if I can help it. Those logs will be just fine layin out behind the barn till I get around to them. Anyone else ever regreted saying yes to some free farwood?

No. But I never go after any big stuff. I realize you did not know it was that big. Good thing you have that equipment to help you out. The power of hydraulics is awesome. I have found many things to put my Kubota to work on. Glad you got some free wood Butcher. I like your idea of not working any harder than you need to. Use more brain anytime you can. Your muscles will last longer.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nope. Red Elm that big would be great milled up for furniture & cabinets,if the quality matched the size....Lots of great heat there besides.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Anyone else ever regreted saying yes to some free farwood?
That all depends on the level of desperation. If there is easier/closer at hand/less time time consumed etc., go for that first.

Ever regretted sayin' yes to free farwood? Most definitely. Guy offered free splits, they looked fine on cellphone pictures. Two pick-m-up truckloads later, we have totally punky fluffy farwood pile because like you said, a promise is a promise. Live and learn...

Status
Not open for further replies.