A question about Blaze King Ashford 30 (or similar size)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Richards

May 21, 2013
Southwest Minnesota
I have read most of the post about the Blaze King stoves but I have one question that I haven't seen addressed yet. My current stove has a listed BTU max output of 72,000 btu's with a 2.3 liter firebox. On the coldest days I need to run that sucker very hot to keep up with the heat loss in my house so i suppose i'm kicking out 65,000 + btus for maybe 40 to 60 minutes at the hottest part of the burn then substantially lower Btus output after that. The Ashford 30 or Sirrocco 30 both list a Btu output of 36,000 on High for 10 hours. I guess my question is would the constant output of the Blaze Kings on high be able to keep up with the coldest days. Anybody have a similar stove and then replaced it with a Blaze King and was it able to keep up with the really cold weather? Thanks

I went from a 2.3 CF non-cat heritage to a 2.8 CF princess. The constant lower heat output more than makes up for the peaky higher output of the non-cat. Classic tortoise and hare scenario. While I had to run that heritage at medium high settings all the time, the princess is on low all the time.

Don't trust btu numbers, look at the firebox. You can get both of these stoves up to the same max temp and when you do, the larger stove will make more heat. Further, the BK is significantly more efficient at converting the wood to heat than your current non-cat.

Reactions: alforit
I went from a 2.3 CF non-cat heritage to a 2.8 CF princess. The constant lower heat output more than makes up for the peaky higher output of the non-cat. Classic tortoise and hare scenario. While I had to run that heritage at medium high settings all the time, the princess is on low all the time.

Don't trust btu numbers, look at the firebox. You can get both of these stoves up to the same max temp and when you do, the larger stove will make more heat. Further, the BK is significantly more efficient at converting the wood to heat than your current non-cat.
Thats very good to know. I just discovered that I have a local BK dealer nearby and am going to keep my eye on him in case a good deal comes up on a BK. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.