A question for Harman "P" style stove owners.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bill Pitman

Mar 17, 2018
Milford, Pa.
When do you start using the igniter switch in the off position?
FYI- when the switch is in the off position, the stove maintains a small fire in the burn "pot".
This allows a quicker fire response, at the start of the next heat cycle.
Would also extend the life of the igniter, and save some electricity( the igniter is the largest user of power, on the stove)
However, the lower exhaust temp could cause some creosete buildup.....?

I would think when the "on" cycle becomes longer than the "off" cycle, no?!

Please note that I do have a remote thermostat wired in series with the stove's room sensor( which is adjusted higher than the highest remote themostat setting)

Just looking for your thoughts on this.....

Bill Pitman
In Pa.

When do you start using the igniter switch in the off position?
FYI- when the switch is in the off position, the stove maintains a small fire in the burn "pot".
This allows a quicker fire response, at the start of the next heat cycle.
Would also extend the life of the igniter, and save some electricity( the igniter is the largest user of power, on the stove)
However, the lower exhaust temp could cause some creosete buildup.....?

I would think when the "on" cycle becomes longer than the "off" cycle, no?!

Please note that I do have a remote thermostat wired in series with the stove's room sensor( which is adjusted higher than the highest remote themostat setting)

Just looking for your thoughts on this.....

Bill Pitman
In Pa.
I use the off or manual position overnight. Put it back on auto during the day since the Sun comes out and warms up. P61a. In 6 years I've never seen any creosote. My exhaust pipe outside usually only has a powdery residue and same for the tunnel that is behind the exhaust fan.

If anything I usually get a bit of a dirtier burn when I have it on the on and off cycle. Meaning that my class will get dirtier quicker.. when we hit really cold weather my stove is on 24/7.

Mine stays in auto, never turns off due to the location on the thermostat location. If the house is warm, I turn it off. House holds heat pretty well. For me, I want the stove to blow heat. I don't want to just look at a fire and waste heat going out the vent. Just my opinion.

Reactions: railfanron
I run mine in Manual all the time. Have yet to see anything but Ash. Normal stuff. the small fire is still pretty hot with forced air.

If creosote forms, isn't that an indication of improper venting? So you're saying the radiant heat is still good in manual?
room manual for us has a sweet spot whereas the blower doesn't shut off much at all so that most of the heat is not going up the exhaust due to long idling..
usually around 73 degree set.
room/auto will shut off during the day when the sun warms up the house and is why we switch back to auto in the mornings.
i have used the stove mode on bitter cold weather and have set the blower speed very low like 1/half maybe 2 because,,,
stove mode blows continuous but doesn't overheat the house as stove mode can do very easily. Monster heat with a P61A set on stove mode so u have to back it off some..\
and yes, I would blame creosote on improper venting or burn due to crappy pellets....

room manual for us has a sweet spot whereas the blower doesn't shut off much at all so that most of the heat is not going up the exhaust due to long idling..
usually around 73 degree set.
room/auto will shut off during the day when the sun warms up the house and is why we switch back to auto in the mornings.
i have used the stove mode on bitter cold weather and have set the blower speed very low like 1/half maybe 2 because,,,
stove mode blows continuous but doesn't overheat the house as stove mode can do very easily. Monster heat with a P61A set on stove mode so u have to back it off some..\
and yes, I would blame creosote on improper venting or burn due to crappy pellets....

I tried stove mode a few times. House got very warm lol. Could not figure out the best setting. The basement, where the stove is at, felt 10 degrees hotter than upstairs. If I recall, stove was on #2. Maybe I will try it again.