A question from my local code official

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 9, 2008
Central NY
During the inspection of a recent pellet stove installation done by our company, the code enforcer asked me about the following:
He noticed that the required non combustible hearth clearance in front of the pellet stove was 6" according to the manufacturer. Not being his first pellet stove inspection, he noticed that all the pellet stoves he has encountered had the same requirement. He looked to the NFPA 211 as a resource (being it deals with solid fuel appliances) to find the basis for this 6" listing. He is well aware of "why" a pellet stove would only require a short distance, shorter than a wood or coal stove. What he was wondering is what method of testing (Aside from UL listings which on pellet stoves tells you to refer to the NFPA211) that caused the industry to use the 6" as a standard. There doesnt exist to my knowledge a federal universal guideline for pellet appliances. If there is, I'd love to know about it. Any input? I told the code enforcer that I would be posting here, and I will link this thread to him via email so he can monitor the responses.

the standard for solid fuel burning appliances "pellet burning type" is ASTM E 1509, i do not have a copy of it at my desk would have to go raid the lab to see if there is a specification in it that mandates 6" front clearance, i would expect that the language which specifies this would be in that standard

If you could Mike, it would go a long way in satisfying this code enforcer and myself. Thanks in advance

I think the difference is because the door is not a true load door... you only open the front door when the thing is off, and you are not loading firewood into it while its going, thus not hot coals roll out onto the floor.

summit said:
I think the difference is because the door is not a true load door... you only open the front door when the thing is off, and you are not loading firewood into it while its going, thus not hot coals roll out onto the floor.

i agree, however i do not know where exactly to find it in print, im thinking im right and its the astm e 1509 but without looking i couldnt be sure.

franks, i cannot get in the lab today nobody in today and i dont have a key to the file room where it would be at. i'll see about getting that as soon as i can get in there

If you were any kind of spy, you would sneak in thru the HVAC vents and lower yourself down to the file with a cable/winch. Of course, you would need a headset so you could speak to your partner who would be waiting outside in an unmarked van. Or..we'll just wait till you get a chance. No rush on this end.

Franks said:
If you were any kind of spy, you would sneak in thru the HVAC vents and lower yourself down to the file with a cable/winch. Of course, you would need a headset so you could speak to your partner who would be waiting outside in an unmarked van. Or..we'll just wait till you get a chance. No rush on this end.

Don't try magnets or suction cups. Mythbusters "busted" those attempts to break in through HVAC vents.

Remember to take a battery powered circular saw with a diamond stone and title cutting blade and goggles with you, no need for anything else.

well, would work except the room i need to get into doesnt have a central system , it used to be a confined space room for ODS testing for unventedgas , room has no vents or ducts at all, would have to cut a hole in the wall or kick in the door , neither option would be somthing the boss would be particularly happy with , i'll get it as soon as i can though

remember...the pirates code is more like "guidelines" than actual rules.

I have met Mike. That would have to be a big HVAC duct. :coolsmirk:

yo ho ho and a bottle 'a rum... arrrgh

I don't believe it is the ASTM E 1509, it states (8.9) that the area to be covered by the floor protector shall be as specified in the installation instructions. This code is really about standards for proper testing, requirements that Omni Test Labs would follow for example. I didn't read everything so I could be wrong. However, the State of Maines, "Standards For The Installation Of Woodburning Stoves" state that "clearances in front of the loading door or ash removal door, of the appliance shall not be reduced from those in Section 9-5 of the NFPA 211.

I don't have the NFPA 211, but my guess is that is where the 6" minimum clearance comes from.
Mike -

Sorry, I reread the question. E 1509 says something about a temperature test sensor needs to be placed 2 feet in font of the unit . . . also, says something about a max allowable temp under the protector. As Mike Holton originally stated, E 1509 appears to be the testing procedures your code officer is looking for.

stoveguy2esw said:
Delta-T said:

"take what ye can"

"give nothing back"

<jack sparrow>

or:

"take from them everything; and leave them nothing"

and its not from Jack Sparrow....anyone?

Lousyweather said:
stoveguy2esw said:
Delta-T said:

"take what ye can"

"give nothing back"

<jack sparrow>

or:

US Congress Critters?

Lousyweather said:
stoveguy2esw said:
Delta-T said:

"take what ye can"

"give nothing back"

<jack sparrow>

or:

King Leonidas, 300, said something similar.
Mike -

Dr_Drum said:
Lousyweather said:
stoveguy2esw said:
Delta-T said:

"take what ye can"

"give nothing back"

<jack sparrow>

or:

King Leonidas, 300, said something similar.
Mike -

yea! now I remember....King Leonidas:

"Give them nothing, and take from them......everything"

thats it...!

Status
Not open for further replies.